Losing privacy

I had a township supervisor knock on my door earlier this week. He informed me of a zoning law that any shrubbery being used as a barrier such as fencing can only have a height of four feet. I have a row of hedges between my closest neighbor and myself that goes about 100 feet long and 10 feet high. I was told to cut them down. A varience hearing of a cost of two hundred bucks might entitle me to six feet high. I guess the shtubs fall under the law of fencing. So I have spent the week cutting them all to the required height and thus losing my privacy to my neighbor. He even thought it to be a bunch of bull and said he had no issues of the way they were. Now I have to come up with another privacy screening for next year when I return from our home down south. Thankfully we leave in two more weeks and its nude as normal down there.

This topic was edited
RE: Losing privacy

Depending on the size of you're property, if there's enough space, you could have high bushes or trees away from the boundary line. This should not contravene the law.

This post was edited

Depending on the size of you're property, if there's enough space, you could have high bushes or trees away from the boundary line. This should not contravene the law.Yes, check the setback requirements. Most zoning has a maximum height requirement for certain distances from the property line. This requirement may be, and probably is, different for all sides of the property. Many times this requirement provides room for the maintenance of a hedge without trespassing on your neighbors property.

This post was edited

Sorry to hear, what a shame. Might have teared up myself. I know I would have had an internal tantrum without a doubt.

This post was edited

Pulling out and replacing that many bushes would cost a fortune and with my buildings being close to the property line, I couldnt move them inward anyway. The supervisor informed me the rule was written in order for neighbors to see others properties in case of fire. Yes, that is a big thing around this county. They dont like even enclosed porches for the same reason. I have decided when I come back north in the spring I will place lattice work along that side of our back porch and the wife will plant climbing plants on them. We will then be private from the neighbors yard and house. Not so much if Im in my back yard tough. The gentleman next door has caught me naked a couple times by stopping over to our place. He is 86 and not much of a threat. His wife is a bit younger and Im sure he has said something to her about my nudity and probably doesnt care much since she is a home body and sits inside all day. My concern is their great grandkids when they are around. I dont think its going to really much of a problem for me actually.

This post was edited

I had a township supervisor knock on my door earlierthis week. He informed me of a zoning law that any shrubberybeing used as a barrier such as fencing can only have a height offour feet. I have a row of hedges between my closest neighbor andmyself that goes about 100 feet long and 10 feet high. I wastold to cut them down. A varience hearing of a cost of twohundred bucks might entitle me to six feet high. I guess theshtubs fall under the law of fencing. So I have spent theweek cutting them all to the required height and thus losing myprivacy to my neighbor. He even thought it to be a bunch ofbull and said he had no issues of the way they were. Now I have tocome up with another privacy screening for next year when I returnfrom our home down south. Thankfully we leave in two more weeks andits nude as normal down there.
Before you cut the shrubbery, you should have gone and looked up
the actual zoning law. Many times the supervisors get it wrong. For
example, I was told the portable shed I got to put in my back had
to be 10' from the property line. After looking it up, that was
only the road side (front) property line due to various
right-of-way easements for utilities/road work. The 4' rule
probably only applies from the front of your house to the
roadside.I bet from the front corner ofyour
house to the back property line there is no limit or it is very
high (10' +)

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Even though this particular incident did not happen in our part ofthe US, I'm
in agreement with the poster above ... I would have check the
ordinance myself to be certain.

I've had this issue here inSouthern Californiawith the three homes we've owned
and added privacy for our nudist lifestyle. In all cases of adding
privacy, I was approached by city Code Enforcement. In ALL cases,
the code enforcement official didn't know what they were talking
about with regards to our particular situation. They read a portion
of the code and then apply it universally and most times, they are
wrong.

I've also had the same issue with city inspectors with regards to
having pools built, block walls built, gas lines, electrical lines,
interior and exterior electrical. In many cases I've had to ask
what the code was and then show them that I/we've complied as they
stated and have had them reverse their initial responses.

Too bad you've already trimmed your privacy hedge!

This post was edited

We can't let shrubs/trees/hedges block light into existing neighbouring properties here in the UK, but we can grow hedges etc to heights that allow decent screening, four feet comes across as crazy. I don't consider that we live in a red-tape free country by any means, but I think you've got it worse in the US from what I read and hear about incidents like these.

This post was edited

Yes, I probably should have did a bit more research. Not a problem now since in two weeks we will be heading south to our winter home and its getting a bit cool around here for outdoor nudity. The bushes we have grow quickly, so I am hoping by the time we get back here in May they will be on their way to being private again. I do have to go to the township office for dog license so maybe Ill make a stop at the zoning office. Thanks all

This post was edited

I don't consider that we live in a red-tape freecountry by any means, but I think you've got it worse in the USfrom what I read and hear about incidents likethese.
We live in the County seat where all court cases are handled. That
means we have a gaggle of atty offices on every corner, certainly a
very litigious conservative area . Loads of ordinances it seems for
everything and the answer to often is no you can't do that. After
years of aggravation I learned to do what I need or want done and ask
forgiveness if anything is said. I have never had to pay a
penalty yet but what I see it's cheaper if you do get fined than go
through the system to begin with.

This post was edited

On several occasions, I've talked with the neighbor. Not sure why, I guess I figure at the time of our conversations ... it's not a good time to bring up our nudist lifestyle, but I've talked with him and told him that the landscaping between us is for our privacy as well as his. They are well aware of our nudity back there. They have one window in particular that had a full view of our backyard and undoubtedly got an eye full until they finally closed those shutters and left them closed for the last couple of years! They could probably open the shutters now because one of our trees is blocking their view but that window still has a view of our side yard and we're often naked there as well.
Hopefully when you return to this home, the bushes will grow to a height where you have privacy and your neighbors and the townshipwill accept that.

This post was edited