Suntan lotion questions

<< < 1 > >>   Page of 1
Pasha71

Pasha71

Topless [64] | 5 years ago | More Info

Flag Quote Reply

Male | Florissant, Missouri United States | 43

"I swear by my life -- and love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I make another man live for mine" (Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged)

Suntan lotion questions

Until I became a nudist 2.5 months ago, I hadn't really been a "beachgoing type". Now, however, I do need to think how to protect my (nude) body from sunburn.
As far as I know, I need to apply suntan lotion. Well, I have two questions:
1.What brand should I buy? I do care about a container, too. I'd like it to be a small bottle with a spray-on option.
2.How often should I apply it (spray it on)?
Thanks!
NudeInMA

NudeInMA

Ultra Nudist [4994] | 5 years ago | More Info

Flag Quote Reply

Male | Berkshires, Massachusetts United States | 72

Nudism is the Great Equalizer. It is impossible to put on airs when one is nude.-- NudeInMA<br>

RE: Suntan lotion questions

What you need is sunblock/sunscreen. It comes in various forms. I use Avon Expedition in a spray can (my son's SO is an Avon rep), but I'll be researching other brands. It has a rating of SPF 30 and it's also an effective bug repellent. As long as the SPF rating is adequate, the brand is not a critical issue.

SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is the major parameter.

The SPF is the amount of UV radiation required to cause sunburn on skin with the sunscreen on, relative to the amount required without the sunscreen. So, wearing a sunscreen with SPF 50, your skin will not burn until it has been exposed to 50 times the amount of solar energy that would normally cause it to burn.

Sunscreen

The article is very informative on the subject.

A few considerations:

• Extended exposure to water will probably wash some or all of it off, requiring reapplication. Resort pools and hot tubs usually require a shower with soap before entry, and that will certainly affect the blocking.
• When in the water, you are exposed not only to direct sunlight but to reflected light as well. This can drastically raise the exposure level.
• SPF refers to UV-B (UltraViolet B) exposure, the wavelengths that are responsible for the desirable tanning (and the undesirable scorching). Sunlight also contains UV-A, which does not cause reddening or tanning but does inflict nasty damage over extended periods. Broad-spectrum blocks work for both types, although some products labeled broad-spectrum are deficient in blocking UV-A.
• Too much UV-B blocking will retard the production of Vitamin D, a crucial vitamin for health. If you use a high-SPF product, consider D supplements (D-3 is a good choice).

FWIW:

May 25, 2010 -- A major consumers group has rated the sunscreens it says work best at blocking harmful ultraviolet A and ultraviolet B radiation that cause sunburns, wrinkles, and certain skin cancers.

Consumer Reports Health tested 12 products and found four it says protect a touch better than the others.

The top four are:

• Up & Up Sport Continuous SPF 30, by Target. It is administered by spray and costs $0.88 per ounce.
• Walgreens Sport Continuous SPF 50. Also a spray. Cost, $1.33 per ounce.
• Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous SPF 30. Spray. Cost, $1.60 per ounce.
• Aveeno Continuous Protection SPF 50. Spray. Cost, $2 an ounce.

Best Sunscreens: A Consumer Reports Ranking
Pasha71

Pasha71

Topless [64] | 5 years ago | More Info

Flag Quote Reply

Male | Florissant, Missouri United States | 43

"I swear by my life -- and love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I make another man live for mine" (Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged)

Thanks! So, how often should I spray it on myself when I'm on a beach?
NudeInMA

NudeInMA

Flag Quote Reply

Nudism is the Great Equalizer. It is impossible to put on airs when one is nude.-- NudeInMA<br>

The Wiki article (the first link) discusses that in detail. Conventional wisdom is every two hours or so, but it depends on conditions such as perspiration, contact with towels/blankets, water exposure, etcetera.

I use this UV detector to get readings. It's available from numerous on-line sources. Amazon seems to be the cheapest. Google UV Hawk 2 to find them.

UVHawk2.jpg

UVHawk2.jpg

img.photobucket.com

It allows setting for skin type and SPF, reads the UV level, and provides a countdown timer for how long you can stay in the sun without burning. It's only a rough time, since changing exposure levels and factors such as water washing off the block can affect the actual time. It's a geek toy, and it impresses the masses.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

img.photobucket.com

Cheri_Donna

Cheri_Donna

Ultra Nudist [4768] | 5 years ago | More Info

Flag Quote Reply

Female | Hopkins, South Carolina United States | 67

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism.
http://www.travelites.info

Coopertone has a continuous spray 50 that I use since I don't have to ask anyone to apply it for me. I do apply every couple of hours when/if out in the sun.
NudeInMA

NudeInMA

Flag Quote Reply

A few other items for thought...

One urban myth that one will read: if one has a good tan, sunblock is not needed. The fact is that a dark tan is about equivalent to SPF-2 to SPF-4 sunblock. Don't rely on it.

The ultraviolet light found in tanning beds (sunbeds in UK) is about 97% UV-A and 3% UV-B. Per post #2, that's an unhealthy ratio. Natural sunlight is better when it's available.

Long-term exposure to ultraviolet light is a known cause of cataracts in the eyes. Regular sunglasses won't block it. There are glasses available that block essentially all of it. Here's one:

Body Glove 90407 V-Line+ Dual-Lens High Impact Safety Glasses

They provide 99.9% reduction of both A and B as well as impact resistance from flying particles. Eye health is as important as skin health.
<< < 1 > >>   Page of 1