What did your friends wedding cost you?

I just returned from a wedding for my better halfs best friend. It was 8 hours away in sunny atlanta. After returning I was going over exactly what was spent and it got me to wondering just how much some people will spend to be at their friends wedding to show support. When I got married a few years back we went to the local courthouse and did the deed for 65 dollars. We decided to use what we would have spent on a wedding to refurnish the new house and take a weekend getaway camping. (Yeh, Im a cheap bastard. I know.)

On this trip for her friends wedding the entire wedding party stayed at the Ritz Carlton. Even with the discounted party rates the room was 180 after tax. I made the mistake of hitting the hotel lounge for a couple of Crown and Cokes and when I saw they were 12 dollars a piece I almost choked them up. My better half had two Pineapple and Captain Morgans at 12 dollars apiece also. Thats over 50 dollars after tax for a couple of drinks. Thats BULL#@%&. Sorry, had a flashback. It took almost 3 tanks of fuel in the not so efficient truck at 102 per fill up. Thats 306 dollars for those keeping track.

It was an open bar at the wedding which was excellent( as I mentioned before Im a cheap bastard) and the meal after the wedding was perfect. But after not eating all day except for the 6 oclock dinner, at about 10 30 I got the munchies. I read the menu for room service and then the next thing I remember was waking up on the floor with the menu still clutched in my hand. 16 dollars for a burger? 21 dollars for a philly cheese steak? I went from hungry to nausious. I grabbed a candy bar from the "honor bar" instead. Guess what, it was 3.00 dollars. After deciding I was too tight to pay for valet parking(which was only 20 dollars for the weekend) I decided to pay 5 dollars and park across the street. Well if you decide to go somewhere you obviously have to pay again BUT the prices are different depending on when you park. So, now I paid 5 dollars first, and returned to pay 15 more. (again for those keeping count thats 20, same as valet). As I returned to the truck sunday morning I found a 25 dollar ticket on the window. My 15 dollar parking stup expired at 6 am sunday morning. Guess I should have payed attention to that.

Finally on the drive home we stopped for a good meal at a decent steakhouse and went through another 41 dollars plus tip.

I spent 635 dollars to go to a wedding for 1 night. Thats not a record breaking amount of money but I cant help but think of all the stuff I could do with that money. What are some stories of how much you have spent to go to a friends wedding? I had one friend get married in Hawaii and I just told them point blank, "have a good time, call when you get back".

This topic was edited
RE: What did your friends wedding cost you?

Our wedding was a nude wedding on the beach. Location: $0 Food: A contribution to the potluck picnic on the beach after the ceremony. Drinks: Free Mead or BYOB Only thing that really cost anyone was gas in the car.
Thats the ticket right there. I said I wouldnt remarry but if I do its gonna be right along those lines.

This post was edited

What did my wedding cost me? Oh yeah, 17 years of my life.

This post was edited

Well Thomas, now I feel like I got off kind of easy.

This post was edited
Weddings

As I am in the wedding business - the cost you do not see are the planning. So I meet with a couple - they just want a small cake for the head table - $135.00 - I spend an hour with the design ideas - cake flavors on the table - I have already lost money! Just this meeting will cost over $100.00 - OMG a $35.00 cake!

This post was edited

Friends' wedding in our backyard cost us nothing really except the outpouring of supporting and filing the paperwork as I did the marrying.
My nude wedding cost just the price of the sheet cake & cake topper, forks/plates, champagne, plastic champagne flutes polysilk bouqet, I also had a headpiece. I used the same cake topper, cake knife, cake server, and polysilk bouquet for our textile wedding 2 weeks later that cost more since I had to wear ...shutter...clothes.

This post was edited

If anyone requires the pleasure of my company, I expect them to pay my travel expenses.

This post was edited