How do you "come out" as a nudist?

I am a first-generation nudist, I still have never met a fellow nudist, and being in the Boston area with our short summers and urban/suburban location means I haven't seen too much presence of nudist culture around me. However, I have come to realize I am definitely a nudist. I have only come out as a nudist to a few people so far, and it wasn't particularly well-received, and I was totally at a loss of words explaining what it means to me being a nudist. I want to get in on the nudist community, but I love the people I know from the communities of the Textile World too, and I don't want to give them up. Is there a way to come out to Textile Worlders about my nudism in a way that they can understand my nudism for what it is (in other words, not the stereotypes of nudists).
And by the way, just a few side questions about nudist slang. If a nudist tells his or her Textile World friends that he or she is a nudist, do we nudists use the term "coming out" like the LGBT community does or do we have our own term for that? And also, my first exposure to nudism was watching some documentary show and they were talking about how we nudists call the world that frowns upon nudity "The Textile World". Do we actually use that term or is that outdated slanng?

This topic was edited
RE: How do you "come out" as a nudist?

Well, in my experience it was kind of a running joke for years around the workplace about "running around naked"....at the time I was basically a home nudist and didn't go to nudist resorts or be around other people nude. I really wanted to, but for one reason or another, I just didn't do it.I finally took the first steps one morning as I was getting out of the shower. My room mate started shouting questions through the door and I'm thinking "sheesh, give me a break! I'm still wet!!" and then I thought about it.....now would be as good as time as any to start being around people nude. What the heck! So, wearing nothing, I ventured out to the living room, where my roomie was still talking away. She talked for a few more minutes and then realized I was nude. She just kind of laughed and and continued her train of talking! I didn't wear anything for the rest of the day! It was so liberating! I asked if she was uncomfortable, but she said she knew I was a nudist at heart and didn't want to rain on my parade! That gave me the confidence to go to Turtle Lake, get a profile here on TN and really talk openly about nudism. I've never gotten any flak or looked down upon.Just the other day, one of my co-worker approached me about going to Turtle Lake and trying the lifestyle!Now of course, if any of my friends are uncomfortable about this, I just don't bring it up or take my clothes off!Good Luck to you and I hope you find some nudist friends around your area!

This post was edited

Going nude in public takes some time to get used to and in many cases it can take as long as 15 minutes.

This post was edited

tell your mates what u see is what u get just u

This post was edited

I am a first-generation nudist, I still have never met a fellow nudist, and being in the Boston area with our short summers and urban/suburban location means I haven't seen too much presence of nudist culture around me. However, I have come to realize I am definitely a nudist. I have only come out as a nudist to a few people so far, and it wasn't particularly well-received, and I was totally at a loss of words explaining what it means to me being a nudist. I want to get in on the nudist community, but I love the people I know from the communities of the Textile World too, and I don't want to give them up. Is there a way to come out to Textile Worlders about my nudism in a way that they can understand my nudism for what it is (in other words, not the stereotypes of nudists).And by the way, just a few side questions about nudist slang. If a nudist tells his or her Textile World friends that he or she is a nudist, do we nudists use the term "coming out" like the LGBT community does or do we have our own term for that? And also, my first exposure to nudism was watching some documentary show and they were talking about how we nudists call the world that frowns upon nudity "The Textile World". Do we actually use that term or is that outdated slanng?
"Welcome to Our World." Nudity is not nudism. It was easy to be "exposed" expecially since I have been pictured on local magazines, newspapers, radio shows. If someone doesn't know I'm a nudist, he/she must either be in a coma or living under a rock. Even the current and previous Rabbi are aware of the way I prefer to live.
If there's someone "new" to me, I usually use the term skinny dipper rather than nudist as it has a more innocent slant.

This post was edited

I am a first-generation nudist, I still have never met a fellow nudist, and being in the Boston area with our short summers and urban/suburban location means I haven't seen too much presence of nudist culture around me. However, I have come to realize I am definitely a nudist. I have only come out as a nudist to a few people so far, and it wasn't particularly well-received, and I was totally at a loss of words explaining what it means to me being a nudist. I want to get in on the nudist community, but I love the people I know from the communities of the Textile World too, and I don't want to give them up. Is there a way to come out to Textile Worlders about my nudism in a way that they can understand my nudism for what it is (in other words, not the stereotypes of nudists).And by the way, just a few side questions about nudist slang. If a nudist tells his or her Textile World friends that he or she is a nudist, do we nudists use the term "coming out" like the LGBT community does or do we have our own term for that? And also, my first exposure to nudism was watching some documentary show and they were talking about how we nudists call the world that frowns upon nudity "The Textile World". Do we actually use that term or is that outdated slanng?Easy.
Go to the nudist beach on your own. Go there several times. Overcome your (natural) fears and anxieties and be comfortable with yourself.
Then, do what I did, just tell everyone you know that you got to the naked beach. They will either love you, or hate you for it. I live in France but I am British and I just said it a few weeks ago back home. Some of my friends don't care, some haven't spoken to me since!
You learn who youre friends really are.
Just my opinion like....

This post was edited

Look around, where you can enjoy your time being nude. A nude beach, sauna. Staying nude should be your private life, with friends, relaxing. Do not try to argue. Just stay with people who like spending part of their free time nude.But when you found your site and somebody, some organisation wants to prevent you, creating some new laws and restrictions, dont be shy to demand your rights. Same for people, who just come for looking, taking pictures. Ask them what they want. If they do not want to join, they have to leave.

This post was edited

How did you come out as a nudist ? " Oh quite easy, I opened the door and walked through "

This post was edited

I understand what you mean about ot wanting to loose the "Textile" friends you have and I was nervouos also. Then I decided I am by a friends side in ALL they do if they are happy doing it and of course it's legal. They should support me the same, if they do not they aren't as close as I thought and I need to re-evaluate my friends.

This post was edited

I am a first-generation nudist, I still have never met a fellow nudist, .... I haven't seen too much presence of nudist culture around me. However, I have come to realize I am definitely a nudist. I have only come out as a nudist to a few people so far, and it wasn't particularly well-received, and I was totally at a loss of words explaining what it means to me being a nudist. I want to get in on the nudist community, but I love the people I know from the communities of the Textile World too, and I don't want to give them up. ....
1) first ask yourself the question "why must one come out (or whatever)" with nudism. Nudism is about an INDIVIDUAL's choice to be comfortable in their own skin, and be that way in a time and place which is appropriate.
2) Based upon what you wrote, you are someone who knows what they want, but is a novice to nudism. How can you expect to have an intelligent positively persuasive discussion in support of what you claim you are without the experience, or full understanding of what nudism is. It is better to not discuss it, then to try and discuss it and hem and haw with answers. Those responses only give the impression to textiles that you are hiding 'something' about nudism that you don't want them to know about.
3) Being a Nudist will not cause your textiled friends to run away, unless you use it as a tool to chase them away. You know your friends, who you can trust, and how receptive they will be to your newfound adventure. Which brings me back to my first statement.
As a nudist, you will not lose friends, you will gain friends... it's a great wonderful world to be in. From Boston, I can tell you that there are at least six different nudism venues that you can chose to go to within an hour to an hour and a half. YOU are fortunate to have that many options.
Our advice, get involved and actually become a social nudist
Research nudism and learn what it's really all about
Understand the reasons why nudism is a healthy (on many levels) way of life.
Keep it under your hat until you are fully immersed in being a practicing nudists. Remember, even your 'friends' are involved in things that they are NOT sharing with you too....

This post was edited

by the way, all of those six venues accept single males.

This post was edited