Nudist or Naturist?

Ok, this is something that's always confused me a little. But what is the difference between an Nudist and a Naturist? It is just one likes to be nude in nature? Honestly I've looked online and found a ton of different answers and didn't know which one(s) were right.

This topic was edited
RE: Nudist or Naturist?

My personnel definitions (others will vary).
Nudist - Prefers being naked in comfort - Landed clubs, Pool, Hot tub, amenities on site.
Naturist - Prefers the great outdoors in a more natural state - Beach, lakeside, stream, hiking trails, no or very few amenities.
Just my thoughts - Others will disagree I'm sure.
John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

In my opinion there is no difference between the meaning of the terms but I believe people use the euphemism "naturist" as a nice substitute for "nude". Personally I prefer the term nude. I am a nudist because I like to be nude and am not a naturist. I do not like to commune with nature.

This post was edited

We feel the words mean the same and are interchangeable. In the past ... naturists were nudists that enjoyed being naked in nature but what happened is that those naturists began to visit clubs, resorts and were also naked all the time at home. The nudists ventured outside the home, outside the gates of their clubs and resorts and found new freedoms on beaches, in the woods, on lakes ... in nature. So ... nudist or naturists ... there really isn't this difference some think there is. We are all the same; we enjoy, prefer, live naked whenever and wherever possible and that's outside of nature as well as in nature! :D

This post was edited

Nice natural nudists nurturing naked naturism.

This post was edited

There's no difference. Why do we have to complicate things? Just enjoy it.

This post was edited

I believe they are both the same.
I may be wrong, but most Brits I know would say Naturist rather than Nudist.
No idea if it's the opposite in the US.

This post was edited

See, it seems like even here I get a ton of different answered. :PI guess I feel they are the same. Its looking like it depends on where you are from, and who you talk to.. And I guess if you are still kind of in the closet about it like I am, then you are a closet nudist because closet naturist doesn't sound right. :P

This post was edited

LMAO!!!

This post was edited

I believe they are both the same.I may be wrong, but most Brits I know would say Naturist rather than Nudist.No idea if it's the opposite in the US.I tend to agree with you. I was introduced to social nudity here many years ago by people who referred to themselves as nudists, so I used the term too. With the varying definitions of the words I find both describe me, I love being nude in nature and prefer to be naked whenever possible anywhere, indoors or outside, in nature and otherwise, on my own or socially. To me the words are interchangeable, they describe people who enjoy life naked, though my preference is to call myself a nudist. I like both the word and being nude anywhere.

This post was edited

I would consider myself more a naturist than a nudist. For me it is an environmental choice. I am nude at home all summer but not at all in the winter. There are some on this site who would rather run a heater than dress, but I would not. It has been about lowering my energy and water footprint, less electricity because less cooling is needed and less water for the washing machine. I still need to go out but I try to consolidate and set outside days and inside days so that I can save a day's laundry. I do like to try to hit a nude beach but I don't have a lot of time to travel to a nude beach so I will sun on my balcony instead. Hope you find that helpful.

This post was edited