Arizona resort info

My wife and I are thinking of snowbirding to Arizona instead of Florida this winter. We noticed there is a couple of resorts we would like to stay at in the Phoenix area. Any input on these would be helpful in making our decision.

This topic was edited
RE: Arizona resort info

The closest to Phoenix would be Shangri La Ranch in New River, about 40 mins north of Phoenix. I've been there a couple of times. My wife would have gone but was at a conference in Scottsdale and was attending meetings. If you compare Cypress Cove, I've visited there too, to Shangri La Ranch ... you'd probably consider Shangri La a bit rustic. Nice people, decent facility, dirt/gravel infrastructure. I like the place but then again ... I camp in Death Valley so Shangri La Ranch is levels above that in every way! My wife isn't too keen on rustic. It's clean and has lots of amenities but most importantly ... nice people.
Mira Vista in Marana, AZ; haven't been there yet. Our group of friends have been discussing going there for a few days but we've not made it out of the lounge chairs at their vacation home to venture down there. We start thinking ... "why pack up and head down there when we can do the same thing at their place and it's cheaper! hahaha But I'm sure we'll make it there, either with them or without them.

This post was edited

I would agree with what Andy said concerning shangri la. If you are considering staying there for a bit this winter I would suggest making a Call now as the winter is the busiest season for them. Winter time can be hard to get an RV spot.
It is about 40 minutes from Downtown Phoenix, but your not that far out. Your minutes away for Anthem. Newer community , very nice.

This post was edited

Winter is the busiest season for Arizona resorts. All I know about Mira Vista is it nice and upscale but a bit pricy. Shangri La Ranch has a lot of regulars, many from Canada, who spend their winters there. They have fixed facilities and RV spots available for full time or long term rentals. The people are very friendly and there are a lot of daily activities. I recently saw that they are adding additional rental units and RV spaces. Call them and ask for information. To get the best and most accurate information, you should talk to Patty. She runs things so you can bank on what you hear from her.
If you're going for a short visit, go to their web site and print out the coupon for a free first time visit.

This post was edited

We live in southern Arizona and have visited both many times, and as said above Mira Vista is nicer and classier, but Shangri La is more rustic and more fun!! If you are bringing an RV mira vista only has 5 spots with ful hookups!

This post was edited

We live in southern Arizona and have visited both many times, and as said above Mira Vista is nicer and classier, but Shangri La is more rustic and more fun!! If you are bringing an RV mira vista only has 5 spots with ful hookups!I have a friend who set up his RV at Mira Vista. He said that there was room for his slide outs or awning, but not both. He had to roll up his awning when someone moved in next to him.

This post was edited

We live in southern Arizona and have visited both many times, and as said above Mira Vista is nicer and classier, but Shangri La is more rustic and more fun!! If you are bringing an RV mira vista only has 5 spots with ful hookups!I have a friend who set up his RV at Mira Vista. He said that there was room for his slide outs or awning, but not both. He had to roll up his awning when someone moved in next to him.DesertRat,
The new RV spots are really nice @ Mira Vista and I had no issues with my awning, But I was in the first spot. I could see this being an issue if the lot was full. As for slides, we had no issues and I think that goes for all 5 spots since they are staggared back in spots.

This post was edited

Thanks for the replies. Contacted Shangri-la Ranch and was told they are presently booked but took my info and said when the new units become available she will contact me again on availability

This post was edited

We have been to both but return to Mira Vista every year. It is much nicer in our opinion. We rent a room as our 5'er is at Empire Haven all year. The new condos are superb. You will pay more but it is worth it. New RV sites too. It is just over an hour from Chandler (Phoenix valley) where my parents live.

This post was edited

Thanks again all for the info. But, the wife and i decided to buy a place in the neighborhood of Cypress Cove. Now we can beregular visitors there in the winter when we are there and even occasional summer visits

This post was edited