Haulover Beach - Some Questions I Could Not Answer With The Search

(We are newbies here, so be gentle :-) )
I (Neil) travel to Miami on business quite often, and Debbie sometimes comes down with me and has a vacation while I'm working.
Up to now we have been "closet nudists", but we thought a visit to Haulover might be an ideal place to move to a higher level of the nude lifestyle. But ... Debbie is nervous.
So - I went to Haulover alone, after work 3 times in the last 2 weeks to see what it was like, and how I think Deb might like it. I loved it and immediately felt completely comfortable, but am not sure how comfortable she'll be for her first public nude experience - so in order to ease her into it, I have many questions that I hope someone can help answer:
** When I went, after work, it seemed to be mostly men on the beach. (Yah I was one of them...) Is it always like that, or only during summer, or only in the late afternoon?
** Also, after 5:00pm in early August, it was very quiet. Is it much busier earlier on weekdays, and what kinds of people tend to go at those times?
** The vacationers seem to be young and good looking ... whereas we are in our 50s and Deb has concerns about her weight. What is the best time to go to Haulover to be among the local regulars, or people closer to our demographic?
** What is the beach like after Summer, or in the winter? Is it deserted, or are there still a lot of beachgoers? And - what kinds of people tend to be there during those times? (Snowbirds, perhaps..?)
** I understand the loose convention that the north end tends to be for gays and the south end for straights. That was apparent in my visits. But I also read that there's a swingers section, a couples section, a singles section, and so on. It didn't seem that way to me - was that someone's misinterpretation, or was I just too naive to see what was there? What part of the beach would be best suited to a 50-something couple who has been married for well over 30 years, and is just looking for true nudism and like-minded beachgoers?

I look forward to your answers, and will be sure to report back when I finally get Debbie out to Haulover.

This topic was edited
RE: Haulover Beach - Some Questions I Could Not Answer With The Search

Here's your best source of info: South Florida Free BeachesThanks. I studied that page - and its links - and didn't find the answers to my specific questions.
Perhaps you can help with the information I was looking for, or with where I should be looking on that site?

This post was edited

I can't give you any specific information on Haulover Beach, but maybe I can help Deb ease into social nudism.
For first timers I always tell them that their best friend is their beach towel. When you get to the beach wrap the towel around your self and remove your clothes while remaining covered by the towel. Then, depending upon how confident you feel, put one end of the towel over your shoulder and spread the rest of the towel in front of your self covering the parts that you're not quite ready to reveal to the world. Stay like this as long as you feel it's necessary. She will probably be amazed in how soon she will let the towel slip. What ever she decides to do or not do, accept it as normal and do not comment on it. Usually when a person feels the sun and breeze on their bare back sides, dropping the towel becomes easy.

One observation on nude beaches: From all the beaches that I've visited, weekends seem to be the most crowded and have a higher percentage of women. There have always been fewer women during the week and the earlier it is during the week, the fewer women.

This post was edited

I myself was very comfortable on my first visit to the nude beach. My wife was.... Like yours very conscious of her weight and not so relaxed. I decided to buy a sun shelter for on the beach that she could sit in. After a while she became more comfortable outside of it. She does still to this day though wear a sarong while walking around the beach.

This post was edited

Neil,
Great questions and best wishes for you and your wife. I have much further to go with my wife as she is not comfortable seeing others nude let alone being nude in public. But its a journey of gradual understanding and acceptance.
You might also try Cypress Cove in Orlando area. It is a very top shelf and friendly resort. It has a great pool area where everyone is extremely friendly. But it also has a second pool area that is more quiet and far fewer people around where she can cover up or experiment with how it feels to have the sun and breeze all over. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

This post was edited

DesertRat - Deb says many thanks for the towel idea. We can see how it would probably work very well, and Deb will probably use your suggestion.
John0061 - we've heard a lot about Cypress Cove, and it sounds like a great place to visit. Unfortunately, we've also heard a lot about Caliente - and it sounds like it would not suit us at all.
Looks like Deb will be joining me in Miami in early September. Looking forward to a positive report-back...

This post was edited

Keep us posted. Deb: Progress at your own pace and enjoy the nude life style. DesertRat

This post was edited

I agree with the sarong idea as well, and lower or adjust as you see fit. It is cooler to wear than a towel when going for a walk, yet you are still covered. You can also buy some larger scarves, one for top, one for bottom instead of a sarong. Go at your own pace. Maybe be topless but put the scarf over your breasts as you are lying down. Maybe the same day or another day you'll be OK with laying completely topless and then you can work on the bottom half. We all have our own comfort level with our bodies, be encouraging but don't push. You also might want to encourage her to get some smaller bikini/thong type bottoms to work her way to exposing more skin. Good Luck.

This post was edited

(We are newbies here, so be gentle :-) )I (Neil) travel to Miami on business quite often, and Debbie sometimes comes down with me and has a vacation while I'm working.Up to now we have been "closet nudists", but we thought a visit to Haulover might be an ideal place to move to a higher level of the nude lifestyle. But ... Debbie is nervous.So - I went to Haulover alone, after work 3 times in the last 2 weeks to see what it was like, and how I think Deb might like it. I loved it and immediately felt completely comfortable, but am not sure how comfortable she'll be for her first public nude experience - so in order to ease her into it, I have many questions that I hope someone can help answer:** When I went, after work, it seemed to be mostly men on the beach. (Yah I was one of them...) Is it always like that, or only during summer, or only in the late afternoon?** Also, after 5:00pm in early August, it was very quiet. Is it much busier earlier on weekdays, and what kinds of people tend to go at those times?** The vacationers seem to be young and good looking ... whereas we are in our 50s and Deb has concerns about her weight. What is the best time to go to Haulover to be among the local regulars, or people closer to our demographic?** What is the beach like after Summer, or in the winter? Is it deserted, or are there still a lot of beachgoers? And - what kinds of people tend to be there during those times? (Snowbirds, perhaps..?)** I understand the loose convention that the north end tends to be for gays and the south end for straights. That was apparent in my visits. But I also read that there's a swingers section, a couples section, a singles section, and so on. It didn't seem that way to me - was that someone's misinterpretation, or was I just too naive to see what was there? What part of the beach would be best suited to a 50-something couple who has been married for well over 30 years, and is just looking for true nudism and like-minded beachgoers?I look forward to your answers, and will be sure to report back when I finally get Debbie out to Haulover.Neil, I will give you my perspective based on my visits to Haulover (about a dozen visits over the last couple of years related to business trips to Miami).Haulover is like most c/o nude beaches and resorts where there will generally be a large ratio of men compared to ladies. I have seen the same at Playalinda and Apollo Beach up on the Canaveral National Seashore as well as a number of the CA beaches. Summertime will see more couples as well as weekends in my experience.Variety of body shapes but South Beach area caters to the "beautiful people" (I am not one of those) like many of the CA beaches, so it is natural to have some comparison concerns, but realize you don't know any of these people and they don't know you, so go for the personal enjoyment of be au natural. Your wife can proceed at her own pace of comfort. As someone suggested, maybe first just topless (you can see a fair number of ladies sunning topless down on the South Beach area as well so it isn't considered a big deal in the area).the beach stays busy yearround. Lifeguards are there during the day and they do not tolerate any sexual activity displays so there is no concern over that. If they are not there due to weather conditions or outside their working hours, the sexual activity might increase but if you stay towards the south end that is less likely to take place. I have never heard/saw/experienced anything that could be considered a swingers section.I hope this helps.

This post was edited

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies.
I flew to Miami again this morning, and went to Haulover again this evening, for an hour before sunset. Now that summer is almost over, there were very few people there ... which was nice.
I loved being out there, nude, no hangups, just free.
I hated the fact that there were about 10 men to 1 woman. That won't work for Deb.
I didn't care for the north end, and liked the more relaxed feel of the south end.
My travel schedule is unclear right now, but it looks like Deb might come down on Friday - in which case, we'll plan to go on the weekend. I think she'll be more comfortable with more women around. And the towel / sarong idea sounds great.Then once she's (hopefully) got over the initial reluctance, a late afternoon / early evening weekday visit might be exactly what we'd enjoy the most.

This post was edited