Fitness and Nudism

Nudism is a pretty broad church embracing people of all ages, shapes and sizes and may it always be that way.
For me fitness is pretty important and I must admit I try to look my best by shaping up for the warmer months to look my best when I hit the nude beaches. I'm interested to hear from other blokes who do the same and whether they have a particular regime they follow or whether they are just blessed with good genes.

This topic was edited
RE: Fitness and Nudism

Well I use to be big into physical fittness then I had to go through chemo treatments and that really did me in. But I have just started getting fit again and I know it will take awhile to get back into shape but it will happen. As far as doing it to look good on the beach or a resort, I do not care what others may think of my body, to many battle scars to care, but I do it and want to get back into shape for myself. As far as routine goes I am just walking and doing body weight exercises right now until I get in a little better shape then I will increase the intesistive later by adding resistance training and jogging/running.

This post was edited

IMHO one of the greatest assets of nudism is body acceptance. In a true nudist environment we should be able to see that people come in all shapes and sizes. In doing so we should be comfortable with the bodies we have without feeling we need to measure up to anyone else's expectations.

That said, I do feel that there are two extremes that (mis)represent the nudist community: the ultra-fit and the obese.
While I don't see anything wrong with keeping in shape, there is an emotionally unhealthy standard of beauty that too many people believe that they and others have to measure up to. Whether someone spends hours in the gym or thousands on cosmetic surgery to achieve and maintain such physiques, they're not truly accepting of themselves or others who don't meet the high standards.
On the opposite end of the spectrum I believe are those who (ab)use nudism's body acceptance principles to rationalize having unhealthy weight and lifestyle choices. While there's nothing wrong with a few extra pounds, there are those in the nudist community (particularly in America) both textile and nudist who are obese to an unhealthy extreme.

Perhaps it's just perception, but these two ends of the spectrum appear to dominate the nudist community and create emotionally and physically unhealthy standards. We should strive to represent and be the healthy aspects of the nudist lifestyle.

This post was edited

I don't work on how my body looks because of doing without clothes - but I'm certainly more body-conscious when I'm naked, and I notice that my posture improves, to the extent that going nude (or shirtless, for that matter) helps me with my back problems.

This post was edited

Well I use to be big into physical fittness then I had to go through chemo treatments and that really did me in. But I have just started getting fit again and I know it will take awhile to get back into shape but it will happen. As far as doing it to look good on the beach or a resort, I do not care what others may think of my body, to many battle scars to care, but I do it and want to get back into shape for myself. As far as routine goes I am just walking and doing body weight exercises right now until I get in a little better shape then I will increase the intesistive later by adding resistance training and jogging/running.
All the best on your journey back to full fitness Larry

This post was edited

Thanks ozbloke

This post was edited

This is an interesting thread to me personally as well as professionally. I no longer work on a summer bod like I did when I was younger and if I want to go naked where it's allowed (and sometimes I am the only one who does), I do it because I like to be free of clothes. I'm no longer part of a naked fashion show (yes, guys, I know I never really was, but testosterone does bring out the peacock in us).
But I do not mean that I don't value fitness. I am a health care professional working specifically to help people with lifestyle that will improve their health. A lot of my patients work hard with food and activity plans and get down from 275 to 240# and they ARE the success story. Genes, prenatal and early life exposures, stresses, microbiome, culture, priorities. etc all play a role and if I see a big naked person at the beach or naked yoga my attitude is "great, somebody else enjoying nakedness." A kindred spirit in that regard, and they mayhave a most interesting story to tell.

This post was edited

I'm not the most fit person around, but I have been working on it quite a bit lately...and its starting to pay off. ^^

This post was edited

I agree that nudism is not about how you look. I workout almost daily, not because I want to look good nude when I'm on the beach. That thought never enters my mind. I workout because I feel better when I do it. It also keep the weight off to a degree, which makes me feel better. From one who likes to eat and drink, working out helps to keep the effects of those other activities in check.

This post was edited

I garden a lot which is exercise plus I exercise and watch my diet as part of a healthy lifestyle as well as a nudist lifestyle. Being healthy is a big part of my lifestyle and works for me.

This post was edited

It is more of a health issue for me really. I can't stop the aging process but I can sure slow it down by staying in shape and eating right. Physical appearance is a byproduct of that.

This post was edited