Being a nudist. Is it all black or white? Or is there a grey area

So, I am new to the site. I am a home nudist.Have been sleeping nude since I was 12. Who can sleep with clothes all twisted around them?? :)I have been more and more interested in experiencing the great outdoors nude.In reading up on it, I came across this site.I have learned a lot and have been lucky to find some really nice people to answer my questions. And I have learned to avoid those that seem to equate nudism with sex.But one thing I am experiencing now is that I don't think I am really inclined toward being a nudist because I am not interested in social interactions with others nude. I crave to be sitting on a front porch in a swing drinking a sweet tea in my birthday suit, but I don't want anyone there with me.In talking with some people there seems to be this push toward experiencing nudism with others. That you are either out and about with others at a resort or beach or private event or you are not really experiencing nudism.Is it black or white? Is there a spot for the grey? for the person like me who wants to walk through the woods nude, garden in the buff, stretch out with the feel of the grass against your back.... without having it be a social event involving other people?I don't feel that there should be a definition for being a nudist. But what do I know? I'm just some chick sitting naked at home watching tv.I would think nudism would vary as much as the people who are participating in it. But I want to hear what others think.
Thanks in advance for you input :)

This topic was edited
RE: Being a nudist. Is it all black or white? Or is there a grey area

While everyone has their own perspective, I believe there is more gray than either black or white. Like you I enjoy being nude at home but also enjoy being nude outdoors, hiking, fishing, and camping although in any of these activities, I am not particularly social. The fact that I don't participate in the social aspect of nudism doesn't make me (or you) any less of a nudist.

This post was edited

Welcome. Nudist and naturist are neither social nor solitary. We each choose our own path. In my view, your personal desire and lifestyle desires are consistent with nudist and naturism. Just as textile activities are performed in social and solitary manners so too can nudity. Set your own path. It's not for others to decide. You may change your mind later on. Or not.

This post was edited

Since there are no specific requirements or qualifications for being a nudist you can define the term to suit yourself, but you may be inadvertently limiting your enjoyment. For many years I was a closet nudist. I didn't consider myself a nudist. I thought of myself as someone who just preferred to be clothes-free. I had no desire to socialize with others while I was nude; actually the thought of being nude among a group of strangers was somewhat terrifying, but when I first tried it I found it so enjoyable I've become a nude junkie. I even spend the winter in nude resorts. I'm currently in DeAnza Springs. Enjoy being nude however you're comfortable, but don't be reluctant to try something new. You might enjoy it more than you expect.

This post was edited

What a resort or established CO beach gets you is facilities and safety. A resort will have a pool and hot tub,grounds where you can wander around, a restaurant or snack bar, and maybe some trails to walk - all in the buff knowing that is the accepted dress. At an established beach you can lounge & walk & swim to your heart's content without constantly looking over your shoulder for rangers or police.
Also, there's something to be said for the encouragement gained from sharing the experience with a bunch of other people. I find it quite reinforcing to look out and see a few hundred other people enjoying a beach nude.

This post was edited

Who cares about labels? If you like sitting on the swing nude on the deck sipping a beverage and want to call yourself a nudist or naturist (or not), it's nobody's business but your own. You're enjoying life! That's the most important thing. If someday you ever want to venture out into social nudism you'll find that we are a great bunch of folks (most of us anyway).

This post was edited

Big thanks to everyone for their thoughts and sharing their experiences

This post was edited

My definition of a nudist is someone who prefers to not wear clothes. I believe that you fit that description; Therefore you are a nudist. After that everything else is in the gray area. One of the advantages of going to a nudist beach or resort is that you can be nude and not worry about who you may be offending. In these places you can also choose to be a social or a private individual. If your choice is to sit quietly by yourself and read a book, that's fine. If you want to talk to others, that is also your choice. The important thing for you to realize is that you have discovered that you are indeed a nudist and that you don't have to worry about this "strange" behavior. You realize that you can enjoy your nudity in a manner that best suits you. That being said, I would always encourage anyone to try new things and new experiences. You'll never really know that you like or dislike something until you've tried it. Whatever you choose to do from this point on, always enjoy your nudist life style.

This post was edited

I'm not very social, yet find that I'm most at peace with myself when I'm nude among other nude people. But conversation and social interaction isn't a significant part of that experience and I'm not sure I'd enjoy a social function where that was expected, but I still consider myself a nudist. I don't think labels are important; if someone enjoys being nude and considers themself a nudist, who am I to argue.

This post was edited