Why are so many Nudists middle-aged men?

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.
I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance.
Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?

This topic was edited
RE: Why are so many Nudists middle-aged men?

Much of the nudist populationare indeed Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. More Boomers though.The reason for this, and I could be wrong, is cultural. Boomers grew up in an era of "revolution" on many different levels. What was previously hidden or kept in the closet "came out" guns blazing. It was fertile grounds for nudism to develop and for more people to experience it.

• Many Boomers quit or postponednudism in order to raise us (Gen Xers) in a textile environment.Some reexplored nudism once we left to make our own lives (empty-nest Boomers make up for a huge percentage of the nudist population.)
  • Gen Xers split indifferent directions. Some embraced the openness of the "liberation" of the previous generation; others rejected it entirely. Within my generationthere is a lot of divisiveness when it comes to nudism and what it means. Which is scary because once the Boomer generation has come to pass, my generation will likely do very little to present an united front and preserve it.
  1. But that's just one theory; and there are many others.

• As far as women go...there is a huge body acceptance crisis in this country (as well as others.) The media, fashion world, reality television, obesity epidemic, and the list goes on...are all contributing factors to women's lack of participation. The internet is not a true representation of female nudism though; the ratio is much more balanced in the nudist world. Why do women not participate as much in internet nudism? One word: harassment.

This post was edited

I believe that all of the previous answers were pretty much on the money but I believe that men are more inclined to be active on the internet. Women don't generally seem to want to surf the internet as much as the men. Women nudists are probably found in the general population in the same percentages as men but women are more guarded about where and with whom they practice nudism. Women nudists are out there in the same numbers as men but they just don't make their presence known as much as the men.

This post was edited

It took me a while longer to find it...so much for the fast start. The above comments are probably correct for the most part; but I'm just enjoying it now.

This post was edited

I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this site (and others) seem to be frequented predominantly by middle-aged men. If I were to guess, I would say that the ratio of single males to all others is probably about 10-1.I understand some of the reasons (e.g. men more comfortable about self and nudity in later years, women's nudity still tied to sexuality, etc.) but that still doesn't seem to explain the imbalance. Any (serious) thoughts or opinions on this phenomenon?cause we come from the hippy era remember it hasn't been that long ago freedom of expression

This post was edited

Adidasmufc, your profile says you are a single 55 year old man. Nothing wrong with that.
But maybe you could answer your own question.

This post was edited

Ive only started the part time nudity thing about 5 years ago. Spouse isnt much into it and wanted to wait until kids were old enough to be comfortable with it if I were nude around the house. I dont do it very often but its nice when i can.

This post was edited

Ive only started the part time nudity thing about 5 years ago. Spouse isnt much into it and wanted to wait until kids were old enough to be comfortable with it if I were nude around the house. I dont do it very often but its nice when i can.

This post was edited

Much of the nudist populationare indeed Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. More Boomers though.The reason for this, and I could be wrong, is cultural. Boomers grew up in an era of "revolution" on many different levels. What was previously hidden or kept in the closet "came out" guns blazing. It was fertile grounds for nudism to develop and for more people to experience it.Many Boomers quit or postponednudism in order to raise us (Gen Xers) in a textile environment.Some reexplored nudism once we left to make our own lives (empty-nest Boomers make up for a huge percentage of the nudist population.)Gen Xers split indifferent directions. Some embraced the openness of the "liberation" of the previous generation; others rejected it entirely. Within my generationthere is a lot of divisiveness when it comes to nudism and what it means. Which is scary because once the Boomer generation has come to pass, my generation will likely do very little to present an united front and preserve it.But that's just one theory; and there are many others.As far as women go...there is a huge body acceptance crisis in this country (as well as others.) The media, fashion world, reality television, obesity epidemic, and the list goes on...are all contributing factors to women's lack of participation. The internet is not a true representation of female nudism though; the ratio is much more balanced in the nudist world. Why do women not participate as much in internet nudism? One word: harassment.I agree completely! ;-)

This post was edited

To me, my slide into nudity is more of a mid life, rebellious thing. As my long term marriage ends and I will soon be single, it is a change thing for me. I would never have been allowed nude in the house except to and from the shower etc, even walking in underwear was a, Can't you put some clothes on.
So I will be able to do what I want, when I want.

This post was edited

look at it this way, 10 - 15 years from the middle age nudists will be older nudists. and will you be asking why there are so many older nudists? lol

This post was edited