What about your windows?

I read an interesting factoid above the urinal at work. ( we have a wellness committee which posts health related topics there)this month is Sleep. The importance of it, why we need it, what our body does while we are asleep.
The bottom of the sheet had a few factoids. One of which is " 35% of people do not use any form of curtains or shades in their bedroom" I am part of that 35% never using curtains to block out light or provide privacy. There are 3 windows in my bedroomeach starting at knee high and going above my head. So far in 26 years living here, no one driving by has complainedabout seeing in, and I do not just sleep nude, I live nude.

This topic was edited
RE: What about your windows?

I have just sheer curtains on the windows during cold weather. At night when the indoor lights are on, someone may be able to see in. In summer there are no curtains and the windows are open even when lights are on. Over about 30 years I have not received any complaints.

This post was edited

Our windows have a low-e coating which makes them difficult to see into during the day. At night however, it's a different story so the blinds go up.

This post was edited

We don't have shades in our bedroom windows, or for that matter glass - just half-walls of screening. But then, we live in the country. Even in the city, though, I never had curtains in our 3rd-floor apartment. The neighbors across, given urban crowdedness and the resulting, obligatory tolerance, were unperturbed, and also accepted the not-so-rare pleasures of sunbathing on the roof.

This post was edited

My home has a lot of natural stained woodwork trim some of it as old as the house and some restored to match, I do have vinyl replacement windows with double glass inset into the old frames. These are white so the window treatments I do have are cafe style curtains along the side and across the top. It deemphasizes the vinyl and enhances the wood and hardly blocks the view.As for the light factor, I sleep with a strand of white LED Christmas lights stung on the headboard. They are on 24/7 sinceI figured out that putting them on a timer was using more electricity than just leaving them on They provide enough lightto read myself to sleep by and i do not wake myself up by rolling over to turn them off like I used to do with the bedlamp I can sleep with lights on and the sun up. But mechanical noises keep me awake.

This post was edited

Re: How can you sleep? We sleep when it's dark, going to bed around 8pm, up around 4.

This post was edited

Unless I was living completely in sync with my nature's diurnal clock, I need some way of blocking out ambient light when sleeping. Natural (and some artificial) light messes with our wake/sleep cycle. In fact I would recommend black-out shades and extinguishing all artificial light in the bedroom.
As for having no window coverings and being seen naked inside your home from the street, I guess the legality of that would be determined by local laws. There has been one notable case in the news recently about a guy who stands naked in his doorway, clearly visible by the public. It's perfectly legal there. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case where I live.

This post was edited

Re: How can you sleep? We sleep when it's dark, going to bed around 8pm, up around 4.You are fortunate. Of course, it varies from season to season but in June and July it isn't dark until around 11 pm and light by 3:30 or 4 am - I need a whole lot more sleep than that.

This post was edited

I did see a risk to health and safety in a lack of window covering last year. I visited another couple from this forum in their home, and we were all naked in the middle of the afternoon, in a room on the second floor, so safe from being overlooked. He was busy photographing me and his wife when a window cleaner suddenly appeared from below the window and started his cleaning. He applied about 2 strokes of his soap applicator before he realised that we were inside the glass. He disappeared so rapidly, I feared for his safety. However, we then closed the blind, and he came back to finish the job after a couple of minutes. There's dedication to duty!

This post was edited

My bedroom has wooden Venetian blinds but no curtains. I use the blinds primarily to prevent the furniture from bleaching from direct exposure to the bright sun - not to block daylight or create privacy. So they are never fully closed. Blinds have the advantage over curtains that they can be angled in a way that they do not block your view.
Here the sun comes up around 06:00 a.m. every day year round. That's a good time to wake up and have the first naked cup of coffee of the day. It is nice to be woken up by the sunrise and be able to look out over the azure blue waters of the Indian Ocean even before getting out of bed. Life is good!

This post was edited

Our widows and blinds are open most of the time except when its too sunny, thus cooler with the blinds closed, and at night here we need the added privacy as neighbours windows at the back of the house are just 4metres away.
We also close the windows and doors at night for security reasons and to keep the mozzies out. No screens are small enough to keep the blighters out.

This post was edited