What does it take to start a nudist resort?

Besides having land, what does it take to start a nudist resort? And, how much land should it cover? I have been told about places that had no amenities. It was just land that offered some privacy for those who just wanted to have a place to go. There was a grass meadow like area and some woods that were kept cleared up with trails to walk. That place had a box for donations, but no fee was required. It was basically just private land that the owner allowed nudists to visit when they chose and let them camp there if they abided by the rules and kept the place clean. But, what, besides land, do you think it takes to start a nudist resort?

This topic was edited
RE: What does it take to start a nudist resort?

Plenty of money.

This post was edited

and plenty of naturists.

This post was edited

Permits most likely. I guess it depends on the size and amenities desired. There is a small nudist place down in the southern hills of Indiana. My understanding is there are no real activities to speak of just woods, a few primitive camp sites, hiking and basically a place to shed the clothes. Wouldn't take a brinks truck load of money to do that.
Amenities such as swimming pool, hot tub, bathhouse and rental cottages, water, sewer and electric infrastructure plus maintenance of all that would be very high. The pool at our club is BIG and I see the maintenance alone on that is BIG as well.

This post was edited

I think the biggest concern would be a liability insurance policy and all the documentation that goes along with forming an LLC or some other entity that would protect the founders from being sued out of existence. Taxes and accounting would also have to be covered as the IRS always gets it's pound of flesh (naked or clothed). It's nice to think that you wouldn't be involved in litigation but unfortunitly, that's not reality. Not a matter of if, but when...

This post was edited

Remember This: The legal advice you get here is worth what you pay for it.

This post was edited

Not really looking for legal advice, I know a lot of attorneys who would do that for me without the fee. I will be talking to them before I do anything, if I decide to.

This post was edited

In the area I live in, there are a lot of closet nudists and naturists. They go way out of town in an attempt to enjoy themselves without being seen by someone they may know. I have to battle that some, I know. Doesn't mean it can't be done with just a few. I have had some say they would go someplace close if there was one that they didn't have to pay an arm and leg to join and then pay day fees that are high enough as to limit their visits due to financial considerations.

This post was edited

I would say an incredible amount of money and a similar number of nudists. The clubs that refer to themselves as "rustic" don't attract many new visitors since they don't off much of a reason to visit. Just the ability to get nude is not enough reason to fill up your property with guests willing to pay the greensfees!
At a minimum, I won't go to a resort unless it has: nice swimming pools;, hot tubs; nice rental rooms or cabins; wifi; plus activities. Going someplace that just offers a campsite is the surest way to go out of business.
Take a look at the clubs that are successful. Here are some to view:
- Laguna Del Sol www.lagunadelsol.com
- Berkshire Vista www.berkshirevista.com
- Sunny Rest Lodge www.sunnyrest.com

This post was edited

What is the motivation? To provide a place for fellow naturists to go? Or to make money?If the former, I suspect just some $$$ to buy the land and put in some minimal improvements - a place with a lake, stream or river running through it would be nice. And then, of course, the ever present insurance.
If the goal is to make $$$, then I'd think you need a lot of money you're willing to lose. I'd think you'd want to improve the place to at least the level of a KOA campground or the like. And then you need marketing sense & marketing dollars.
Stephane Deschanes has an episode on marketing naturism on The Naturist Living podcast. (www.naturistliving.bareoaks.ca/2013/06/marketing-naturism.html)

IMHO (and I think in Stephane's) many nudist resorts are terrible at marketing themselves. With some competent marketing I think the people will show - if there is a large enough population to draw from.

This post was edited

I would be happy just to have a job and live at one.

This post was edited