Battery Operated Lawn Mower

I've been wanting to try a battery operated lawn mower out for some time now but not wanting to fork over the cash. They can be quite expensive. I found a slightly used Black and Decker 36 volt model in really good condition a few months ago on sale foe $200.00. I was unwilling to drop $200.00 on a used model so I waited. Yesterday I talked the store into letting me take the risk of buying it for $50.00. I tried it out last night on various lengths of grass. Even though I had not recharged the battery, nor sharpened the blade; the mower cut through the thickest, highest grass with no problem. I like the safety of the blade coming to a complete stop as soon as the off/on switch is released as well. The system has more than enough power for the mulching system. I have to give this model a big thumbs up in performance and not just because it was only $50.00. It would be a good buy at full price. Couple the performance with not blowing out gasoline exhaust and the noise of an internal combustion engine. It is a win all the way. Black and Decker has redesigned the unit to a 40 volt lithium battery which I am guessing will perform even better. Home Depot carries another model which at 56 volts is the most powerful model of it's type. But at $500.00 it is a big investment. I also have a battery operated weedtrimmer. I could not be happier with it's performance going on 3 years. Not polluting, less noise, no oil changes or fuel spillage, and no engine overheating with these units. A greener way to go.

This topic was edited
RE: Battery Operated Lawn Mower

I have been using a battery operated mower for a couple of years now and certainly would not go back to a petrol model. We have a reasonable sized block so I have an extra battery that means I can rotate them. Aside from the fuel pollution benefits, the things I like are, less noise pollution, it actually starts when you turn it on (gone are the days of pulling away for ages trying to get a petrol model to start) and it is so much lighter to use. To my mind a win win for environment and me

This post was edited
RE: Battery Operated Lawn Mower

I have been using a battery operated mower for a couple of years now and certainly would not go back to a petrol model. We have a reasonable sized block so I have an extra battery that means I can rotate them. Aside from the fuel pollution benefits, the things I like are, less noise pollution, it actually starts when you turn it on (gone are the days of pulling away for ages trying to get a petrol model to start) and it is so much lighter to use. To my mind a win win for environment and meJust ordered a spare battery. Thanks for the tip.

This post was edited