naked or half-naked

I've been reading a Christian site where it says in Jn. 21: 4-8.
John 21:4-8English Standard Version (ESV)4Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciplesdid not know that it was Jesus.5Jesus said to them,Children, do you have any fish?They answered him, No.6He said to them,Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish.7That disciplewhom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, It is the Lord! When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord,he put on his outer garment, for he wasstripped for work, andthrew himself into the sea.8The other disciples came in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the land, but about a hundred yardsa]off.
Christians say that page that Peter was not all nakedbut then why not say peter paragraph and was partially clothed or partially naked?They claim they used the Greek word EPENDUTES and say it means both What do you know?

This topic was edited
RE: naked or half-naked

I think people argue over the silliest things. The whole point about the word "ependutes" meaning both completely and partially naked is that the people of the Bible did not make a distinction between being completely naked or partially naked. It is possible that Peter wore some form of underwear but why do some modern people insist on making the assumption that Peter did wear some form of underwear. He was out with the guys. Why put modern sensibilities on him? Why should we insist that Peter made the same distinction that modern humans make?

This post was edited

If it can mean both, why do we assume one and not the other? We are simply still equating nudity with sin, so Peter couldn't possibly have been nude, or he would have been sinning. Circular reasoning, if you ask me!

This post was edited

Which was Peter is a trivial matter.

This post was edited

Scroll down to the picture and read discription of the swimmer.
https://www.biblicalartifacts.org/galilee.html
Jerry

This post was edited

I've been reading a Christian site where it says in Jn. 21: 4-8.John 21:4-8English Standard Version (ESV)4Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciplesdid not know that it was Jesus.5Jesus said to them,Children, do you have any fish?They answered him, No.6He said to them,Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish.7That disciplewhom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, It is the Lord! When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord,he put on his outer garment, for he wasstripped for work, andthrew himself into the sea.8The other disciples came in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the land, but about a hundred yardsa]off.Christians say that page that Peter was not all nakedbut then why not say peter paragraph and was partially clothed or partially naked?They claim they used the Greek word EPENDUTES and say it means both What do you know?It's always been my impression and indoctrination that the fishermen of the Bible didn't wear much clothing. Theologian friends of mine actually have told me that they interpret the Word that the fishermen led very wild (not partying like) lives and lived like what we would call nude camping.

This post was edited