Retired and disabled veteran--I don't give in to my disabilities.

Hello all,
I was a career army NCO, planning to retire at 30years of service when I was injured on duty in 1990. After 10 months in a military hospital I was forced to retire. All of my injuries were internal but a severe concussion caused a stroke which took a couple of years to overcome. I have fought my way out of a powered wheelchair twice and now slowly having to use it more and more due to a degenerative spinal condition. However, I don't dwell on my disabilities, most of the time I ignore them or work around them. I still enjoy an active life, with limitations. I no longer drive, but when I can find someone with wheels, I enjoy wilderness camping, boating, nude walks in the desert or mountains, and whatever else is available to do. Life is just too short to sit still.
I do travel by air often, and do take my trained/certified German Shepherd Service dog with me. I also enjoy skype sessions, especially with folks I might meet in my travels or if we have something in common.
2021 Update: Things do change with time! I can only walk a few feet now so I must use my walker or powered chair. Thankfully I have a younger nudist roommate that is willing to do a lot of the physical work so we can still go camping or travel. My brain tells me I am only 40 but my body screams out we are 75 now and dealing with a variety of ailments. My arthritis in the hands is now severe & the heart problems require lots of meds. Radiation exposure as a youth is now causing Melanomas. But I am not giving up on camping and socializing. I just modify the way I do things!

This topic was edited
RE:Retired and disabled veteran--I don't give in to my disabilities.

I'm happy to know a bit more about the details of your disability. I admire you and your "Can Do" attitude. You are a great example to all who are experiencing physical and/or other challenges.

This post was edited
RE:Retired and disabled veteran--I don't give in to my disabilities.

Hi,

Currently dealing with early stage 4 .colo-rectal cancer and some transfer of that to my liver and feeling a bit of 'overwhelm' with all the changes going on in my life. Did my 4 years in the Navy and traveled quite a bit then. Did 3 tours in the Med, two in the US Virgins. Served on two carriers, the Valley Forge and the Independence, both now are sadly now beer cans and razor blades. Had a lot of fun while in, as that was from 1959 to 1963 so I missed the Vietnam mess. My brother served there. Have done a bit of traveling since my Navy days, mostly to Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun. Did a gay Med cruise in 2007 and revisited some pf my old haunts. Spent about 10 days in England in 2005 as well.

Like your profile and attitude and would enjoy hearing from you if you care to write. Additional pics available. I still drive and live off 32nd St between Thomas and Osborn.

Best wishes to you...Jim

This post was edited