RE:is it legal to drive in the nude?

From my understanding, mere nudity isn't against the law in US but the caveat is that many states have laws that leave things to open interpretation. For example, many states have laws which states that being nude and being lewd and lascivious is illegal. The meaning of lewd and lascivious is an open interpretation and majority of states do not define that. That being said, it all depends on police officers and other law enforcers to decide what constitutes as lewd and lascivious. Some, if not many, will think your nudity alone is lewd and lascivious.I have driven nude before and never been caught. To drive nude safely simply means to follow common sense. Do not do anything that will draw attention to yourself, obey the traffic laws, and exercise caution. Again it all boils down to common sense: do not speed, do not play your music loudly as that will attract attention, do not do it during rush hour, and/or do not go around exposing yourself. Also, if you can, take some precaution by getting your windows legally tinted and ensuring you have clothes you can quickly and easily put on if problem arises.

And make sure some other driver doesn't cause you to be in an accident.

This post was edited

I have driven naked in 19 US states and so far, no problem. I drive nude on long trips and when I'm returning from nude recreation (skinnydipping, hiking, etc) when I haven't needed to get dressed to reach the car. In some states it's established as not illegal (TX, CA are two), but I agree with a previous poster that in many cases the laws on what constitutes disturbing the peace are probably open to interpretation. I sort of look at driving naked in the same category of hiking on public lands; you just use good judgment and accept that there is a small risk. So be careful, and as previous posters suggested, don't speed or otherwise break traffic laws.

My preference is to drive totally bare, it's great for maintaining a more uniform body temperature, there's less chafing than in pants, and it's just more comfortable. But I always have a pair of shorts in arm's reach for a quick slip on. I cover my lap for buses, I no longer worry about big rigs. I do not skinnydrive (a new coined term?) on city streets, only on two lane highways, rural roads and interstates.

Good luck if you decide to try it, OP!

This post was edited

Technically NO, but once you step out of the vehicle you are in public and that changes depending where you are. Just drive with a pair of shorts handy or towel with a tie so you can cover up if you have to get out. The officer will know you are not hiding anything and will probably let you off with a warning cause you gave him a laugh.

This post was edited

On a recent road trip back from the Gulf I kept my shirt on but shed the shorts. Kept them at the ready....just in case. So much more comfortable than 6 hours of being all bunched up.
I'm sure this will now be my new state of travel going forward and it offers a quick cover-up when the need arises. Loved the freedom!

This post was edited

I agree that it's a bigger risk to drive with tinted windows than nude. I've gotten honks for nudity but a ticket in Chicago for driver side tinted windows, which I removed and my ticket was thrown out. If you sit high people see little but truck drivers seem to see everything. Good luck!

This post was edited

It is not illegal to drive nude in the state of Texas as long as you are not doing anything elicit or erotic or trying to draw attention to yourself. The auto is an extension of your home. Good idea, however, to make sure you have something handy to cover up with and make sure you don't break any driving laws or drive drunk.

Is this true? Can you or anyone else give me a web link where I can read about this.

This post was edited

Don't forget that in addition to the laws regarding driving nude in your area, you also need to know about court decisions that relate to those laws. Some of the decisions count as precedents, and they'll be taken into consideration during a new case.

This post was edited

My Camaro has darken windows on the side. But I always have a coat handy if I need to cover up.

This post was edited

Whenever I've driven nude (most recently on a trip from Tennessee back to Florida), I keep a pair of shorts at my feet so that I can easily slide them up if necessary. I've started to have some sciatica issues and there the waistband of shorts/pants hits is right where it starts to cause me problems. I found that if I lose the shorts or pants, I am pain free while I drive.

This post was edited

A friend and I have driven from Dallas to Austin and back naked before. On the way down there it was a bright and sunny late morning, of course we covered as we were near any high profile vehicles. It helped that we were in a SUV ourselves.

On the way home it was already dark out so neither of us ever bothered covering up when other vehicles were next to us.

This post was edited