Organization to advocate for Gunnison Beach

In another thread, there is a posting that tells about a friend who works for the NPS (National Park Service). That posting gives inside information that NPS wishes that the nude section were closed, because it costs too much to police the area.
Decades ago, TSN (Tri-State Naturists) did an excellent job of lobbying for Gunnison Beach with government agencies. TNS had a president, Toni Egbert, who was tremendously gifted for advocacy. However Toni passed on to eternity a long time ago. TNS didn't seem to have anybody who could effectively take over after Toni. So years after Toni's death, TNS disbanded. TSSC (Tri-State Sun Club) has also disbanded. Somebody once told me that FOG (Friends Of Gunnison) also no longer exists, or is that a false rumor. I never belonged to FOG, because I had the impression that they were a clique.
Is there any local group left that can advocate for Gunnison Beach? There are two national organizations, AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) and TNS (The Naturist Society).

This topic was edited
RE: Organization to advocate for Gunnison Beach

In another thread, there is a posting that tells about a friend who works for the NPS (National Park Service). That posting gives inside information that NPS wishes that the nude section were closed, because it costs too much to police the area.Carbird, have you or anyone else brought this to the attention of TNS and AANR? Something like this need to be nipped in the bud. I will give TNS a call if someone has not (TNS members here).

This post was edited

In another thread, there is a posting that tells about a friend who works for the NPS (National Park Service). That posting gives inside information that NPS wishes that the nude section were closed, because it costs too much to police the area.Carbird, have you or anyone else brought this to the attention of TNS and AANR? Something like this need to be nipped in the bud. I will give TNS a call if someone has not (TNS members here).
Do go ahead and contact AANR or NPS. The more people who contact them, the better. With many people contacting them, that shows that there really is interest in keeping Gunnison Beach open for clothing-optional use.

This post was edited

I desire that politics be kept out of this discussion. The president's political party at the time of past actions for or against Gunnison Beach has very little to do with the action. I happen to be Democrat, and I am very much in favor of the idea of nude beaches and support topless women in NYC. You will find people in both major political parties both for or against nude beaches. The issues dividing Republicans from Democrats are more important than nudism. The Republicans have grabbed on to conservative positions on homosexuality and abortion; however they are not so Christian as for helping neighbors who are in need. Republicans say, "If you can't make it on your own -- tough." Democrats say, "Suppose you are too old to work and suppose you are disabled." By the way, the 2016 election will be pivotal and determine which way our country is headed.

This post was edited

Since the NPS stopped nudity on Fire Island in 2013, NYC guys now take the ferry to Gunnison and bring with them lewd acts,glass bottles and marijuana. They also ignore the bird sanctuary signs and intrude into that area.
How do we know that they are from NYC? On what basis is the association between those illegal acts and those who take the ferry? Maybe that is how Fire Island was closed.

This post was edited

Reviving this thread for relevance.

Does anyone know if the NPS is open to having beach goers serve as a sort of "volunteer beach ranger", who will pre-police the unwanted behavior before the rangers actually have to?

I've heard from a ranger that they are going to ban alcohol at the beach soon because, long story short, it was too much of a hassle and resulted in too many DUIs. So, it seems like they're holding off on prohibiting nudity.

However, I'm petrified at the thought of that. I want to do anything I can to help keep Gunnison nude-friendly as well as a healthy atmosphere.

This post was edited

One of my friends just started chatting with a ranger and he was pretty friendly. He told us directly that "they" are planning on banning alcohol within a year or two, not because of any sort of beach behavior, but because of people driving out of the parking lot while under the influence and having close calls with pedestrians. Basically, Gunnison has surpassed the allowed limit of DUIs too many times, was the way the ranger put it.

As far as money to police the beach, I have friends who are in disagreement. Some say that NPS loses money, but others say the parking lot passes add up to a lot. Can anyone share any insight on this tidbit?

This post was edited
RE:Organization to advocate for Gunnison Beach

I find it hard to believe that they would close the beach due to funds. The nude beach is the most popular beach in the park and must bring in more money than people going to the other beaches. I'm sure they lose money, but they would lose more if they closed the beach.

This post was edited

I noticed a big change in the character of Gunnison after they closed the nude beaches in NYC. The crowd is a bit more rowdy and there has been more drinking, partying, and open lewdness. It didn't surprise me when they banned tents and I'm disappointed that they are considering banning alcohol. Although I'm not one to drink alcohol there because I drive home, I think allowing it adds to the culture of the beach.

This post was edited

I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know if there has been a problem. It was a really laid-back and friendly crowd last time I was there. No problems at all. If they ban alcohol I suppose it wouldn't bother me that much. I hope they don't ban nudity. After losing Lighthouse Beach, Sandy Hook is the only nude ocean beach left in the Northeast that I know of.

This post was edited

BeachguyNJ. You have found a gem. I have been going to Gunnison probably 10 years now. Sept is nothing wait until you come back in the height of summer. The atmos is friendly, relaxing drinking and talking to people. Besides few people most behave and enjoy and even alcohol help relax some people.

This post was edited