RE:Valley View hot springs/Orient Land Trust

Altitude is 8,600 ft @ VVHS village.
I volunteered there for 2 weeks in mid-Oct. 2017, and it was warmer than normal for that time of year, but I was nude all day if the sun was out, and then layered up from dusk on. The weather varies of course, and can be windy at times. I was told it is generally 5-10 deg F warmer at the village than down on the valley floor of the San Luis Valley (where Everson Ranch is). Check the OLT website, they have a link to local weather station displayed. Search Weather Underground for Villa Grove and Moffat stations to give you current data.
The San Luis Valley/Villa Grove area weather can be very different than the Salida/Arkansas River valley (which is known as the "Banana Belt of Colorado") just to the north, and very different than the Front Range area. There are times when the VVHS area is WARMER than those areas north or east due to the barrier effect of the Sangre De Cristo Mts.
But fear not, the hot Appletree pools are about 104 & 105 F (heated by hydroelectric power), and the other pools run about body temp. Don't forget the sauna. And there is a fire in the Pavilion nearly every night! - Nudeprewd 2/23/2018

This post was edited

anyone know what altitude it at ? we live ( according to google maps ) 123 miles from there but i was always afraid it would be rather chilly thereAccording to their website, from about 8600' to 9000', ......................John aka cobeachbum

To John/cobeachbum ----- My apologizes man, I did not see your thorough and excellent reply to the OP question at the time I began my reply. I know you are the go-to guy for intel on this wonderful place! It's always great to get a broader perspective that covers the long period you have visited. My recent visits account for less than 3 weeks total, but I have been just thoroughly impressed with how hard Doug B. and the current team have worked to make refinements where absolutely necessary to meet critical needs while be very intentional in maintaining Neil and Terry intent and vision and the VVHS community culture. It was very insightful for me to get a behind-the-scenes look as a Camp Host, and working with many of the staff on maintenance projects, re-doing the teepee, front office operations, giving Discovery tours, helping with Astronomy Tour . Take care - Nudeprewd 2/23/2018

This post was edited

No problem. It's always nice to get multiple viewpoints from multiple people. I don't get there nearly often enough anymore. I now live ~1000 miles away. I started going back when Neil and Terry were still running it (prior to OLT being formed). Up until 2001, I was there 8-10 times a year. Now it's usually every other year or so. Missed last year due to the less than desirable weather (rainy and chilly). I plan on being there late July this year (No specific dates yet). It would be nice to meet a fellow TN'r. It is heaven on earth.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Great information. We are planning a trip there in the next few months, no dates yet but cant wait to get back there.

This post was edited

One of the most relaxing places in America, I was there with my ex girlfriend 2 years ago. I'm going back next week and will be camping there for 4 nights while I fish and explore the area. I'm going alone, so I hope that doesn't seem super weird to others that will be there.

Thoughts?

Anyone want to meet me there?

This post was edited

One of the most relaxing places in America, I was there with my ex girlfriend 2 years ago. I'm going back next week and will be camping there for 4 nights while I fish and explore the area. I'm going alone, so I hope that doesn't seem super weird to others that will be there.Thoughts?Anyone want to meet me there?

Just left, so I can't join. Make sure you make the trip to the Bat Cave. The numbers have increased again (Closer to 300,000 now), and they are leaving the cave earlier than usual. More around 730PMish than their usual 830PMish. Sometimes all coming out at 730, sometimes a second, smaller launch at 830. This video is from 26 July, when they all came out at 730. For awhile you can see the two streams, but the wind kept blowing them together.

https://www.facebook.com/colorado.beach.5/videos/a.2052491481442447.1073741825.100000448441684/2052491521442443/?type=3

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

OLT/Valley View season is almost upon us. Of course there are hardy souls that will do the winter thing, but hiking naked is a big part of my experience there. The earliest I have been is last week of April, and it has been warm enough in the day to be comfortable. It is still a roll of the dice weather-wise until late May. I am planning a few trips down there this year. Who else?

This post was edited

I will be there either the last week of June or first week of July. Not sure if I'm going to get a cabin or not. In the past few years, I had a tent that attached to the back of my minivan, but both the tent and the van have had their last season. It worked out well, as all the "stuff" went in the tent, and I had a fairly nice bed set up in the van. Considering acquiring a camper trailer to replace, but haven't made the plunge yet.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Decided to explore the forums and found this thread. Been to OLT a few times and just became a member last year when I returned to CO after a few years away. Usually go camping there by myself so would love to meet other people there.

This post was edited

There is a Valley View group. I will likely post there when ever headed down.

This post was edited