your thoughts

I have an opportunity to purchase a tent for my rig, which is what I want. The guy that makes this seems legit and honest. Having said that he wants 1/2 down now and then when he finishes the build he wants the other 1/2. I am ok with this, but this is where I get a little sketched out he wants the payment in check form and then he waits for it to clear to begin work. No one else makes this type of tent that I have found. I have looked and do not see any reviews for his product which again seems a little sketchy. Its a little mom pop type business and again seems like he is on the up and up. Am I being overly concerned here? What are your thoughts? Thanks

This topic was edited
RE:your thoughts

If you wanna be sure, find someone hes made one for already for an opinion. Might have to ask him for references.

Im so much of a do it myself type. If i want something custom, Ill just research materials and practices, and build it myself.

This post was edited

Hmmmmm ... I've only done this once and I'm glad I didn't lose too much money. I made a purchase on eBay for a custom product. I waited and waited and began messaging the seller ... no response. I continued to message the seller via email. My first clue was that this guy wasn't replying to the emails and the last clue ... my emails came back as undeliverable due to "no known email address." I asked eBay for help but in trying to resolve the matter myself, I had let the time lapse for them to step in. Problem was ... this guy still had items for sale on eBay.

Once I brought that to eBay's attention, the items were removed and the seller was no where to be found on the site and his website was taken down. So with that story ... I'm leery of paying for something in this manner and I agree, you should find out from this tent maker if he has any references or previous buyers you can contact to ask about this item. I'm figuring this tent cost a heck of a lot more than the $45 I lost on that eBay situation.

This post was edited

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes indeed it is much much more than 45.00. I will share more about it in a couple days, I don't want to curse my odds of getting it. I will contact the seller once I know I have the funds to make it happen, then I will share.

This post was edited

I would be leery if he doesn't accept the normal forms of payment used on EBay, PayPal, etc. You lose all ability to fight any issues if you don't have a form of payment that allows for you to go back to the seller. If you send him a check and he waits until it clears, there is nothing you can do to recover for non performance. That would be a huge red flag to me. With PayPal , you would have someone in your corner if there are issues. If he complains about the fees PayPal charges, I would even offer to help cover those fees just to give me the peace of mind. Good luck!

This post was edited

Sounds pretty shady to me. You have some protection with credit card, PayPal, etc, but you have no protection if he cashes and clears your check first. If you're looking for a tent specific to pickup truck beds, there are a number of companies out there who sell "off the shelf".

This post was edited

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes indeed it is much much more than 45.00. I will share more about it in a couple days, I don't want to curse my odds of getting it. I will contact the seller once I know I have the funds to make it happen, then I will share.

So much for the Ebay guarantee ?

This post was edited

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes indeed it is much much more than 45.00. I will share more about it in a couple days, I don't want to curse my odds of getting it. I will contact the seller once I know I have the funds to make it happen, then I will share.So much for the Ebay guarantee ?

Exactly ...

I was about a week late of the deadline to get their help but in their resolution section of the FAQ page, it states to do all you can to resolve the issue between you and the seller. I told them that I had messaged the seller, emailed the seller and when I got the notice that the email address was no good, that's when I ask them to assist me. I pretty much got the "Too late, you should have contacted us sooner, " reply. Luckily, I've had amazing luck with all the other sellers I've purchased from on eBay. ;D

This post was edited

A mom and pop business I am not really so surprised they don't take Credit Cards. 50% down and final on completion is pretty normal for this area and that's what I do myself and mechanical builds. I am amazed at the number of people that do not know me and I'm walking out the door with a down payment check for thousands of $$.

This post was edited

There are a number of contractors who take 50% deposit up front in order to buy the materials for the job. It also applies to any made to order item. It isn't that unusual, just like it's not unusual for travel agents to take a deposit when a holiday is booked. It's more risky if they ask for 100% (which does happen). If they wait until the job is finished they run the risk that your cheque will bounce and they will be left with a bespoke product they can't sell to anyone else. A lot of businesses go bankrupt due to late payments from customers.

Here are some suggestions: (1) find out where they live, or trade from, by offering to drop the cheque off in person; (2) get a reference; (3) use Paypal - in a dispute they tend to be biased in favour of the byer; (4) pay by credit card - here UK law requires the credit card company to guarantee the product being sold, if deficient they have to refund the money and then try to claim it off the seller. I prefer to use the credit card, mainly as a way of affording a payment at the time. Having said this I think that such precautions are rarely needed.

This post was edited