Catholic nudism

God bless everyone, I would like to know your comments on how to conjugate nudism with Catholic beliefs, I do not know anyone in person who live both.

This topic was edited
RE:Catholic nudism

Hello and Peace Be With You!

I'm a pretty staunch Catholic with pretty strong leanings towards nudism. I see nothing wrong in that because if there was, God wouldn't have created us nude! The Bible says that God created all things and saw that they were good. We , as Christians, are also taught that Cod created us in His own image and likeness. Of course we have to agree that there is a very thin dividing line between nudity and sex and there is probably the temptation to cross that line if one is not clear about where one wants to be. It's obvious then that confusing nudity with sex is questionable in Catholicism.Anything that leads one to committing sin in thought, word or deed is then to be avoided.

Alf

This post was edited

Another here
Whilst I continue to have difficulty in reconciling the Catholic Church with the catholic faith I have no conflict between Naturism and Catholicism.

Indeed as can be seen from my profile I take reassurance in the writings of Saint John Pail II.

This post was edited

I don't see there is a problem between social nudism and Catholicism. A year or 2 ago I was chatting with a Jesuit and mentioned that I was a nudist and did engage in social nudity with other of both sexes. His response was, and I'll paraphrase, that if I followed the teaching of Christ it didn't matter if I had clothes on or not. It was indeed a relief because that is what I've always thought.

Dominus vobiscum.

This post was edited

Try reading "Nudity & Christianity" by Jim C. Cunningham. It is available on Amazon.

This post was edited

I've been a nudist much longer than I've been a Catholic having converted to the faith only a year ago. As my RCIA instructor pointed out, converting to Catholicism rather than being born into it takes a conscious decision and commitment.

In his comment above, Glenn sums it all up rather nicely. "It's all in the behavior- simple nudity, swimming, camping, etc is okay. Non-chaste nudity or overt sexual behavior is not.

There is no shame in simply socializing with others while in the state of undress. It's how you conduct yourself that counts.

~ Jack

This post was edited

Well, I'm not completely sure, but I'm almost quite sure that in Catholicism there is any principle nor rule that is against naturist.
Do you know any one?

This post was edited

Agreed, I don't see any reason why you can't be both. Why would one preclude the other. Jesus lived a very simple life in some ways and what could be more simple than not needing clothes and reducing the amount we all have, giving some to others as we need less.

I think it's my Catholic upbringing (I'm an occasional church goer) that struggles with some of the things I see going on at the CO beaches I like to go to. People who seem to only go there for sexual encounters is an issue for me, as well as it potentially threatening the legal status of the beach if others raise complaints.

Apart from that I don't see why it's an issue to be naked in front of others if we are all respectful of one another.

SBN.

This post was edited

et cum spiritu tuo

This post was edited

There is no absolute prohibition to nudity in Catholicism. However some theologians in the rc argue that nakedness is a proximate cause for others to sin by committing sexual acts outside of marriage. Therefore these theologians would argue that nudity in a social context would be sinful. I would argue against that belief by saying that if the nudist's intention is to lead others to sin it would also be a sin, However I do not believe that the purpose of social nudist is to lead others into sin. Without that specific purpose to lead others into sexual nudity outside of marriage there is no sin. So for your penance say three Hail Mary's and have a nude day.

This post was edited

So for your penance say three Hail Mary's and have a nude day.

I like you humor, Jim.

David

This post was edited