Radiation centre...

Unfortunately, I've had to begin radiation treatments of my pelvic area. At the centre, for each treatment, after lying down on the treatment table, I have to pull my shirt up and my pants down exposing about an inch or two of my pubic hair so the techs (all are women) can aim the radiation accurately. They are so used to it that no comment is made. When I stand up, one of them grasps my arm to steady me. I stand there momentarily with my pants down - I go commando as what's the point of underwear when I'm just going to pull my pants down anyhow?

I asked them if any patients freak out a bit at having to pull their pants down - they said not usually, though some women coming in for breast-cancer radiation get a little shy about having their breasts exposed.

This topic was edited
RE:Radiation centre...

I hope you are okay and get well soon!

This post was edited
RE:Radiation centre...

No symptoms of the cancer, no side-effects of the radiation, so doing well.

I mentioned to the main radiation tech (a woman) something about our summer plans to go backpacking, and mentioned hiking to various hot springs. She was VERY interested and told me a day or two later that she was excited about the possibility, so yesterday I loaned her a book on hiking hot springs in the Pacific NW. This morning she said she was really glad to see that some of them were in the area where her parents live N of Seattle. I mentioned a couple of the hikes featured in the other hiking book I loaned her, and she said "No, I meant the HOT SPRINGS". She wondered when a good time to go might be, so I suggested midweek if possible, and avoid weekend evenings because that's when the partiers show up with their drugs and drinking. I had originally told her that the hot springs are best enjoyed if you're not too shy - today I clarified that I meant "modest" not shy and told her that almost everyone is really chill and not perverts so it's pretty cool. I did mention that mid-day on a weekend some people may visit from Forest Service campgrounds nearby, with small children, who may be "startled" - i.e. by nudity - but that nudity is the norm. She thanked me and wasn't fazed at all. Of course part of this conversation was with my sweats still down with my pubic hair and maybe the top of my penis showing (I didn't look down).

I went on to tell her that there are clothing-optional hot tubs just a few miles from her parents' place, and gave her the name.

It will be interesting to see if I've made a "convert" so to speak. She's certainly interested.

This post was edited