Length of canoe - kayaks

what are the length of your canoes - kayaks , are you happy with the length ? pros - cons ?

This topic was edited
RE:Length of canoe - kayaks

i have a 10 ft old town vapor i like the length and it tracks great, as i age it getting harder getting into maybe i should lose some weight lol . my other is a pelican canoe i got a great deal on at end of season , i think it's 15'6" and i like it a lot for what it is but do wish it was around 13ft or 14ft as it's usually just me in it make easier loading or unloading. i do flip it around so that i'm actually sitting in the rear but sitting in the front seat which puts me more forward and better control. i use a kayak paddle for both my kayak and canoe - so much easier paddling.

This post was edited

14 foot. I used to have a Mohawk Guide 17 foot. Loved it. Gave it to a friend with understanding I could always borrow it back. But he loaned it to a less-than-reputable friend of his that absconded with it.

This post was edited

just that extra foot or two i don't need and it's not so much handling on water but handling into and out of truck, but the price i paid i can't complain and it handles well for my needs.

This post was edited

The very first thing to look at is how much weight does your vessel have to carry. This includes the weight of passengers and gear. Then look at the canoes/kayaks that have that capacity plus 10 to 20% more (safety margin + improved handling). Any boat handles better if its not loaded to full capacity. And youll want plenty of freeboard should you encounter rough water.

Canudist/kayaker/and sailor for more years than Id like to admit.

This post was edited

The very first thing to look at is how much weight does your vessel have to carry. This includes the weight of passengers and gear. Then look at the canoes/kayaks that have that capacity plus 10 to 20% more (safety margin + improved handling). Any boat handles better if its not loaded to full capacity. And youll want plenty of freeboard should you encounter rough water.Canudist/kayaker/and sailor for more years than Id like to admit.

excellent point i did a lot of research buying my kayak reading a lot of reviews, the only thing i didn't consider buying it was getting older and over weight. my canoe was a spur of moment buy that i couldn't pass up because of price. i think if i had to give one up i'd probably give up the kayak , i love my canoe even though it doesn't track as well as the kayak i can do so much more with it.

This post was edited

I have owned 12' Perception KingFisher and two 9' Malibu Mini-Xs. I went to the Mini-Xs because I got a good deal and could fit both inside my mini van so that I didn't need to mess with trailers or roof racks.
They were light, versatile, and tracked pretty good with a moderate paddling pace. They were definitely slower than longer, sleeker kayaks but fit the bill for spontaneous afternoon trips. Despite their size they also handle big water and mild to moderate swell pretty well. I had mine out on Lake Ontario numerous times.
The KingFisher tracked slightly better. It took a bit to get it up to speed but once there it maintained speed pretty well and had a longer glide than the Mini-X.
Currently I have a 12' RumRunner paddleboard that tracks well. It's not as fast as a similar size kayak but is faster than the Mini-X. Went to a paddleboard because I started standing on the Mini-X to sight cast and that led to paddling from fishing spot to fishing spot while standing so rhe board made sense.
My next kayak will probably be a 13-14' light touring kayak. Big enough for multi-day trips and big water, small enough for spontaneous day trips and small creeks. Being a sit-inside will also allow me to still paddle nude in places where slightly more discression is needed.

This post was edited

what are the length of your canoes - kayaks , are you happy with the length ? pros - cons ?

-Weber 132- Length=11 feet - Sit on top kayak, maintenance free, fun little play boat, easy to store and transport, dirt cheap to buy and own.

-Perception Expression - Length = 15 feet - Sit inside kayak, comfortable touring boat, fast, tracks well and is also easy to turn. Love the drop down skeg,

-Old Town Penobscot 16- Length = 16 feet - Great all around tandem canoe. Mine in made of Royalex so it's light weight but still durable. Royalex is no longer available so the newer models are much heavier. If I could own only one boat, this would be it.

This post was edited

it would be cool if you could go to a factory tell them the length and width , canoe or kayak you want and what extras and they punch in a code and 30 minutes later you boat pops out at the end. i look at canoes and kayaks every week online and at the store but i never see the perfect one that i see in my head that i want. i still like my canoe more than my kayak .

This post was edited

well sadly a lot of us here are old , fat and balding with small cocks i'd love to have a corvette but it wouldn't change that i'm old, fat, and balding with a small cock. as for my canoe and kayak I can still get in it without bumping my cock.

This post was edited

Since I have a place in North Carolina near some lakes and rivers I have been looking at kayaks for my wife and I. I have an old canoe my dad bought from Montgomery Wards when I was a kid up there now but is pretty short and fat and not all that stable but is easy to transport on my mini van.

I ran across a guy on a website (next door neighbor) who was giving away a 16ft kayak but I had to haul it off from around the back of his house. Turned out it wasn't a kayak but a small boat called a Gheenoe which weighs about 150 pounds. It took everything my son and I had to lift it on top of my van so I'm going to have to get a trailer to pull it behind and actually launch at the lake. My son won't be with me most of the time and I don't think my wife has that kind of upper body strength to load and unload it. It is paddleable but probably will get a small motor at some point. Already have a trolling motor that someone threw away so I'm going to try that at some point.

This post was edited