Wildlife Encounters

There is just something different about coming across wildlife naked. Last week on one of my favorite hikes I came upon an antelope and too many elk to count (five herds). The highlight, good and bad, was a moose that crossed the trail 60 feet in front of me. She looked at me an kept going. If they take exception to you, its not good. I often see bear on that trail, but I haven't come across one yet this year. I had a great bear encounter last year, but that's another story. I am sure it is not so, but I feel like the animals treat me differently without clothes. I end up closer, rarely on purpose. Only in a spiritual sense can I see any reason why wildlife would care if a man is naked or not. It is probably just me, but I do feel more in their element, closer to them, when I am dressed as they are . What have been your naked wildlife encounters?

This topic was edited
RE:Wildlife Encounters

Our good friends, also nudists, that live in the foothills of WA state, have wildlife cross through their property quite often. Being city people, we don't see that and for us, the random sighting of a coyote, now and then, always surprises us. So, when we visit this couple, it's always great to see deer, fox, raccoon either meandering or scurrying through their property.

One morning, our male friend and I were having some Morning Coffee in the Nude and the resident doe and fawn came walking across the back yard as we were standing on his deck. She paused for a few seconds and look at us. We remained standing but weren't still. She began to eat some grass or something she like growing in their grass and then wondered around the yard with the fawn for several minutes. Neither the doe or fawn seemed too concerned with us two naked guys but in comparison, we've been in similar situations where we were wearing clothes and the doe made a beeline to the adjoining woods!

I guess I had a bear encounter once but I didn't know it. On a very large brush fire, I was up the street directing fire engines and crews to save houses while my fire engine was down at the hydrant. My Engineer began waving at me and hollering but I couldn't hear him. He then began running toward me and when he got me he said, "didn't you see that bear!!!?" I said, "no, what bear!?" A bear that was running away from the approaching wall of fire made a beeline for some safety. I'd heard some bushes and such rustling but thought it was wind or guys working, but apparently it was a bear that was about 5 ft behind me. I guess he couldn't be bothered with me because of the approaching fire. He probably thought I was nuts cuz I wasn't running with him! :DDD

This post was edited

Most laundry detergents have brighteners that are especially effective in the UV spectrum. A lot of wildlife see clothed people as flashing neon billboards which can be startling to them. Many hunters have learned this and use special detergent without the brighteners. Nudists look more natural to wildlife making them more comfortable around us. Just another reason I prefer the term naturist.

This post was edited

Interesting. I had an encounter with a deer a couple of weeks ago where I know because I was naked she didn't know I was there even though I was about 70 feet from her, down wind. She stared right at me and didn't bolt until I moved. If I had ben clothed, I very much doubt she would have had that much difficulty figuring me out. I had seen her a few times and she was not one to hang around people. The optical brightener thing makes sense.

This post was edited

I found this photo on a blog. I think it speaks to what those of us contributing to this topic, are speaking of. ;D

This post was edited

Great photo. I would like to think that there is something to this because one of the reasons, probably the main reason, I am a naturist is because naked in nature makes me feel more connected to nature. Guess I'll just have to spend more time out there exploring these interactions. I'm not a hunter, but naked bow hunting seems like it could be a thing - back to our roots.

This post was edited

I get what you're saying and we love being naked in nature just as much as we enjoy being naked anytime, anywhere and we live naked daily, that's probably why we call ourselves nudists. But being naked is normal and natural, no matter what your surroundings and whatever your environment preferences are, they shouldn't divide those of us that prefer to live naturally.

This post was edited