Naked and Green

With concerns about the being good custodians of the environment, I am wondering about the impact of unnecessary clothing. There are studies about the environment impact of all clothing in general. My thoughts concern clothing manufactured and washed for uses where it is not needed or practical. Specifically, this would include sleepwear, loungewear, swimwear, underwear, and lingerie. Certainly some would argue lingerie is needed for their sex lives.

This topic was edited
RE:Naked and Green

There are times and places when nearly all of us need clothing, but I don't think that it is necessary to put them through the wash as often as some would think. My wife for one washes everything after only one wearing. It is nearly the same for towels. She has also abandoned the clothes line I put up for the dryer. Sweaty clothes will dry and if you are going into an activity that will get them sweaty again, why wash them in between uses. My work clothes are usually covered with sawdust so if I am going to generate more sawdust, I put on the dusty ones. That may entail changing several times per day, but I do a lot less laundry.

This post was edited

there is reasearch showing that clothes fibres are getting into the water system and into the bodies of marine creatures, in addition in the uk water use reduction is being requested not just in the heatwave but all year, plus the deterioration of drinking water and increased cost of cleaning it due to chemical pollution including washing liquids. So in short it is better for the environment, add in the elec use on tumble dryers etc and a no brainer, if it is warm get rid of the rags.

Trying to help normalize nudism is something to which I aspire. One thing I do is act normal when nude and not ashamed if caught, like when MIL saw me doing nude yoga in her basement. Another I am working on is a nudism comic strip (no pun intended). Getting back on topic, nudists should take every opportunity to get environmentalists to be nude at home.

This post was edited

although I'm not living where water is short, many places are getting very short on it due to population growth and it's water use habits. So what uses all that water? flush toilets, go with composters, it's the old way and it worked, just not as civilized feeling. Washing clothes, that's a big one too, if clothing were used only minimally and then washed only when needed it would drastically reduce water use. Shorten showers to minimal, do more of it by hand washing instead of wasting all that water down the drain. I expect there is little incentive for people to reduce water use, if it got very expensive it would help. The best way to live green is to live nude in a greenhouse and grow all yer own food. And run the greenhouse on a non polluting power source, which lifestyle I'm aiming for myself. Not so much because it's environmentally friendly but because it's the best for health and long term sustainability, food security. Separate ourselves from the resource heavy lifestyle, live light to nil on resources and when those resources break down we'll still be functioning. Oil is likely going to go before long, it's done hit peak supply and dwindling, and just keeps being used at a very fast rate due to the oil system suppressing all viable alternatives. And yes they do suppress alternatives with a heavy hand behind the scenes. As a lifetime researcher of energy inventions I've see too many inventions be knocked out of the system by their greed for oil money.

This post was edited

although I'm not living where water is short, many places are getting very short on it due to population growth and it's water use habits. So what uses all that water? flush toilets, go with composters, it's the old way and it worked, just not as civilized feeling. Washing clothes, that's a big one too, if clothing were used only minimally and then washed only when needed it would drastically reduce water use. Shorten showers to minimal, do more of it by hand washing instead of wasting all that water down the drain. I expect there is little incentive for people to reduce water use, if it got very expensive it would help. The best way to live green is to live nude in a greenhouse and grow all yer own food. And run the greenhouse on a non polluting power source, which lifestyle I'm aiming for myself. Not so much because it's environmentally friendly but because it's the best for health and long term sustainability, food security. Separate ourselves from the resource heavy lifestyle, live light to nil on resources and when those resources break down we'll still be functioning. Oil is likely going to go before long, it's done hit peak supply and dwindling, and just keeps being used at a very fast rate due to the oil system suppressing all viable alternatives. And yes they do suppress alternatives with a heavy hand behind the scenes. As a lifetime researcher of energy inventions I've see too many inventions be knocked out of the system by their greed for oil money.

Not to start a political rant, alternative energy is more heavily subsidized as a percent of total income or per unit of energy than fossil fuels. The reason fossil fuels get a bigger total subsidy is the far greater quantity of energy produced.

This post was edited