Recent Brush/Forest fire near our club

The 41% contained Holy Fire in Southern California threatened our club, Glen Eden, in Corona, CA. The fire burned up to the property line but was stopped by fire crews before any structures were damaged. Residents were on mandatory evacuation and still remain on evacuation but that should be lifted soon so they can return home.

I was torn. I still have my fire gear and could have easily gone to help but I had two things stopping me; putting on clothes and the gear and the wedding of a close friend's nephew that we were invited to. Luckily, our brother firefighters stopped the advancing fire from different directions and our club was spared. Not sure how our brothers in harms way would have reacted to me showing up to the fireline with my helmet, brush jacket and brush boots on, and nothing else! :DDDDDDD

This topic was edited
RE:Recent Brush/Forest fire near our club

The 41% contained Holy Fire in Southern California threatened our club, Glen Eden, in Corona, CA. The fire burned up to the property line but was stopped by fire crews before any structures were damaged.

Thank you for that news. I was sooo worried, but I couldn't bring myself to do a search to see what was going on. So many friends. Hubby and I prayed often for not only the residents and guests of Glen Eden, but for everyone involved in the fire. I know some structures were burned, but from what we see on the news it was minimal thanks to your brothers and sisters in the field. It must incredible stamina to work those fire lines. People who criticize police and fire fighters for the pay and benefits they get should be whacked with a bamboo pole.

Thank you for the update.

This post was edited

The 41% contained Holy Fire in Southern California threatened our club, Glen Eden, in Corona, CA. The fire burned up to the property line but was stopped by fire crews before any structures were damaged.Thank you for that news. I was sooo worried, but I couldn't bring myself to do a search to see what was going on. So many friends. Hubby and I prayed often for not only the residents and guests of Glen Eden, but for everyone involved in the fire. I know some structures were burned, but from what we see on the news it was minimal thanks to your brothers and sisters in the field. It must incredible stamina to work those fire lines. People who criticize police and fire fighters for the pay and benefits they get should be whacked with a bamboo pole.Thank you for the update.

You are welcome!

As a firefighter, we certainly appreciated all the goodies people brought to us on the fire line and at the fire stations but it was the genuine thanks and appreciation for what we did and what we were willing to do, that counted. It was bothersome to get so much graciousness, thanks and admiration during the fires and shortly afterwards but as you stated, we'd get criticized during negotiations or when our salaries were publicly published. It came with the job and we accepted the thanks with the not so thankful. ;D

All's well with GE and I'm following the manager on Twitter, so when the evacuation is lifted and the club is reopened, I'll post again here.

This post was edited

As a firefighter, we certainly appreciated all the goodies people brought to us on the fire line and at the fire stations but it was the genuine thanks and appreciation for what we did and what we were willing to do, that counted.

I must say that I am often saddened by people who feel that an occupation that earns more than them is crooked or undeserving.
Its just very tough to convince people that the police, fire fighters and EMT's are the ones running INTO the danger while everone else is running away.
If people want protection they are going to have to pay for it ... going in or coming out.

This post was edited

Your words are greatly appreciated by all fire, police, EMS personnel; Active, seasonal, volunteer and even us retired guys and gals!

Thanks Californiacoast! XX ;D

Here's the latest update. Appears residents will be allowed to return soon. GE Twitter and Facebook pages are posting updates regularly.

Apologies, for some reason it will not let me copy and paste the attachment so you can read it in the post. I had to post it as an attachment.

This post was edited