The pleasure of nudity

As an older nudist, how did you found out about the pleasures of non-sexual nudity and how did you learn to make it a part of your live.
Do you have a story you want to share? By sharing your experience, the younger generation will learn from your wisdom.

This topic was edited
RE:The pleasure of nudity

I've always, since birth, been comfortable unclothed. But I was raised in a Puritan christian home. Hell, skin was taboo. We were made to shower in gym class from grade 6 up. It was embarrassing, especially since I was always the youngest in my grade, and the least developed. In the high school showers I saw my first micro penis and stopped feeling so sorry for my own development.

Forward to serving in the Army. Public showers we're normal, but I was still youngest (I joined at 16), least developed, etc.

It took several more years until I decided I just didn't give a damn what others thought, and I visited my first nude beach. Scared shitless at first, but empowering after only a few minutes. At that moment I went from being comfortable alone naked to being a full fledged nudist. And I've never looked back

This post was edited

I grew up in a home where nudity was common...dad, mom, brother and I were often nude. I also went swimming twice a week at the Y with my dad and brother when men swam in the nude. We also often went camping on private land and were nude much of the time. So being nude was routine for me...just the way things were...no big deal.

After college, I went to my first nudist club and continue to go to both hetero and gay nudist clubs. I also go to Gunnison (nude) Beach as often as I can each summer. When I go to the gym, I usually walk to the shower with the towel over my shoulder rather than around my waist.

I'm nude around the apartment much of the time.

This post was edited

I think like most of us who were not raised in a healthy nudist home, branch out on our own and learn to enjoy our nudity. I started early on and have lived my life doing what I please, when I please and the way I please and don't worry what others think.

This post was edited

. Since then I took up naked hiking, naked pool parties, going to naked resorts, going to a naked beach and going to Korean Spas.
Welcome to our group dear. Glad to have you. I might sound naive but what's going on in Naked pool parties? Korean Spas?

This post was edited

Other than being tall, I've considered myself quite average - build, penis size, maturity timeline and sexuality - with nothing to hide or strut. I grew up in a Northern European community with stoic, quiet men and strong women where male social nudity was accepted at saunas, etc., though not particularly common for me. I noticed that men smiled and talked more when they were naked, lost their stern edge and I could just enjoy their energy. That helped me to associate social nudity with liberation, like drinking but without anything forbidden for kids.

In my 20's I lost my own self-consciousness to eventually realize how many men my age had hangups about being naked. There I had an edge and could present myself naked and proud. It was a real confidence booster for me! I felt like I was glowing, whereas my more fit and athletic peers were awkward in their own bodies. Unfortunately, there was no particular venue for that other than normal locker rooms, etc., more suited for short breaks than extended hanging.

I came back to nudism after becoming single and realizing that I was now grown up enough to smile and talk a little more around other naked men. Just like being a kid, I could enjoy the liberation of social nudity like hanging in a bar without dimmed lights and alcohol. I showed up naked and felt like a full-fledged adult as a result, and I still enjoy it.

This post was edited

I was raised by parents with opposing views on nudity. My mom never gave a thought to my brother an me running around shirtless but my dad was a freak about us staying covered up. Even t-shirts had to be covered. I was just about the age of 50 when I "discovered" nudity while on a hike in Vermont (public nudity is NOT unlawful in Vermont). Five other guys and I hiked 10 miles along the Appalachian Trail in celebration of the summer solstice. Although it was a weekday, we encountered several other people along the way who provided a variety of responses to our procession. Most people we saw just kept hiking without much response at all. Some laughed--obviously embarrassed and some looked the other way. But the reaction that stands out in my mind was the one of the father who had his 2 sons with him. The boys were about 10 & 12 years old. The dad stepped off the trail so we could pass and instructed his sons to do the same. The boys were as interested in what was happening as they were surprised. But their dad never asked them to turn their heads or cover their eyes. They watched closely as each one of us passed. After we passed, the dad stepped back onto the trail and was shortly followed by his sons, looking back at us--perhaps to confirm if what they had just witnessed was real. It was the reaction of the dad that surprised and inspired ME! I was not prepared for that "no big deal" reaction from a man on an outing with his young sons. I think it was at that moment, an hour into our hike, that I realized that nudity--public or private--was nothing to feel embarrassed or shameful about, but is as normal as the wind blowing through the mountains and the sun shining on the earth. I was liberated of my doubts and clothes that day and have enjoyed my nudity as much as possible ever since.

This post was edited

I am somewhat staggered by the response by several of the above contributors and my American friends where they were not allowed to be topless as boys. In Australia few boys went around in shirts or T'shirts in Summer. Swimmers, speedos, togs, or short shorts were the order of the day from an early age. In my case the 1950's. The all over tan started when I was about 15.

This post was edited

We've read in other strings about a pendulum swinging. Right now we seem to be going (or have gone) in the puritan direction. The less we hide and the more we proclaim nudity, not clothes, as the norm, the better chance we have of reversing the direction.
I write this because I grew up in England in an era (around 1960) when nudity in practical situations (shower rooms) was no big deal, but organized naturism was regarded as a little 'odd' (you had 'sun clubs'; no official nude beaches, though this in itself was a swing from the early 1900s. I'm disappointed to see the fuss that seems to be made about nudity now (in Europe as well as North America). This means that the pendulum swing needs to be taken into account with experiences from different times and places. Let's also not forget the oppressive theocracies and dictatorships in much of the world. A long way to go.
I think that wanting to be naked (or not) may be partly genetic, but have no idea how our genes influence this (or anything else) in everyday life: something for researchers the next decades. I've wanted to be naked for as long as I can remember and have heard this from other naturists/nudists. This despite a neutral environment: parents not oppressive but not liberal either; indeed a problem at around 6 or 7 years when I wanted my playmates to undress with me. Secondary school with open showers was heaven. I was older than most in my year and matured early, so my genitals were the centre of attention (no sex education so none of us had any idea what was happening) - something I loved. Only child, so no sibling experience.
My first experience of the pure joy of nudity was alone, on a cycle ride on the moors. Sunny weather, stripped to underpants and then thought 'what the hell' and they came off. I can't say this was non-sexual, as I got hard and soon came. But it was a fantastic start. To describe the rest would make this post too long, but it just carried on from there.
Advice would, perhaps not surprisingly, be to follow your heart (and your genes) and be yourself. Respect yourself and others will respect you. It won't always be easy and life's a compromise: you need to combine idealism with a sense of reality. Start from the situation as it is, but of course strive to change it. And, as you've so often read: people are more accepting than you think. Give them the chance to be. Some of all this in combination - it has worked for me. Be brave! Nothing's better! Hope this helps.

This post was edited