A little story about AirBnB

We had our mens clothing optional B&B called Guysers Gaystay listed on AirBnB for 5 years.
When we first joined we wrote our listing with our B&B name "Guysers Gaystay" and wrote our words including "...a clothing optional B&B for men only".
We uploaded our photos including one that showed a hint of a guys bum, but cropped tastefully.
Our listing remained unchanged for 5 years until out of the blue I get this message from AirBnB saying we are discriminating because we do not allow women and have used the word 'gay'. Actually the only place the word 'gay' was used was in our property name 'Guysers Gaystay'.
I responded to them and said our listing has been like that for the last 5 years and when we first joined and filled in our listing you had no issues then?
Then the next thing our entire listing had been taken down and another email from them saying we have several images that breach their guidelines.
We could not believe it, that our listing had only been like that for 5 years and they were only now making a fuss about it.
I went back at them and said there are dozens if not hundreds of other gay men only clothing optional properties on AirBnB just like ours.
I told them the way they suddenly went about things and took down our listing without giving us a chance was disgusting and a shocking way to treat us, especially as for the last 5 years weve had happy customers, no complaints, and providing them with commission.
Out of principle we decided to stay well clear of AirBnB.
In New Zealand our councils are looking very closely at AirBnB properties as many of them are renting entire homes un-hosted. Some councils have hit these properties with a $13,000 rates bill.
Weve been advised to come off of AirBnB for this reason.
For men only clothing optional properties without the hassles and homophobia from AirBnB, there are websites like MisterBnB, Purple Roofs and even NaturistBnB or simply use google key words to find official property websites.
Sites like AirBnB and booking.com etc take a reasonable commission from B&B hosts room tarrifs. If you want to support the people who are hosting you, always try and book direct if they have their own dedicated website, that way the hosts recieve the full room rate and are not having to pay mega hopitality companies. Who would you rather the money go to?

This topic was edited
RE:A little story about AirBnB

Thank you for educating people about the mass marketed websites. Booking directly is the answer to the best service. Recently air b&b has allowed exorbitant management and cleaning fees. No way!!! Move on and book from another site.

This post was edited

I wasn't happy with Misterbnb either. Both times I used them, I was lost money. First time, I was charged a Euro conversion fee (I live in the US and was traveling in the US). They couldn't refund the fee but gave me a voucher credit. When I tried to use the voucher credit, there was no way to enter it on their website. You had to book via the app. Also in comparing the rates/fees with hosts that list on both Airbnb and Misterbnb, Airbnb prices were always less. I will never use MisterBNB again or recommend it to anyone.

This post was edited

I tried listing my home as nudist friendly and was told by Airbnb that i could not. So I listed it as Naturist Friendly Home. In my initial description i state " be sure you know what naturist means" To the experienced nudist it jumps out and I have had several folks choose here to stay in the buff. Others have asked ( which bugs the hell out of me, they could google it in less time that it takes to ask) I do play it by ear. If it is only one night which most are I can keep clothes on for that long. But if the person wants to stay multiple nights I make sure they know I won't be clothed all the time. What they do is entirely up to them.
I also state the hot tub is free to use as long as house rules are followed. Then in the pics I have a pic of the hot tub with the rules posted above it. "1. use common sense 2. no swimsuits allowed

I did have one middle aged man book for a multi night stay a week or so in advance. It was not until the night before he was to get here that he asked what naturist means . When I told him, his response was " then I had better not stay" and canceled. He was less the cancelation deadline so had to still pay me a for one night. Oh well. no pity for him. A middle aged man who isn't comfortable around a naked middle aged guy is not someone i want to get to know anyway.

overall my experience renting out my spare room on average once every 2-3 weeks has been fine. Plus i have had wonderful experiences renting rooms all over the world. In fact spent some time this week looking for places for my next escape. Anyone in Perth Australia?

As for the extra fees. they bug me. The cleaning fee and service fee add ons are often steep. Have the guts to list the full price for the room in the listing. So what you see is what you pay. I have scanned some of the other online hospital exchanges and noted that once you specialize the price tends to jump. I have not matched exact places but get the impression that there are folks who get a premium listing the same room to a speciality group.

This post was edited