RE:The New Jeep Pick Up 2019

Jeeps typically are not good on gas mileage. Even my wife's new Cherokee gets about 20-22 mpg. My '01 Cherokee Sport is even worse 17 mpg. I don't own a new Wrangler yet. We were just at Laguna Del Sol for the week and I talked to several people that had various models of the Wrangler; Rubicon, Sahara, Limited they all stated the same that mpg (gas/ no diesels here in the US yet) that mpg hasn't increased much.

Off road; they all were impressed with off road capabilities of their Wrangler. We have several guys in our group that own CJ's and Wranglers and the all love their vehicles and their abilities to go off road where they like to go. Some of the guys are more adventurous and do rock climbing and crawling, others, like me, prefer challenging roads but I don't want to travel roads where I have to wench to get from one point to another. I'd use my wench, if I had one, to get out of trouble! :DDD

I keep going back and forth between Wrangler Sahara or Limited/Unlimited and Rubicon. Rubicon's are a little heavier and I have a weight limit on towing with my motorhome. I'll do the research and if I find that the weight difference is minimal, I'll most likely go with Rubicon but because it's rated better for off roading. I've test driven both and though the Rubicon drives a little stiffer on the roads, it's off road capabilities may win me over. But I'd really prefer a smoother ride for a daily driver. To say I'm conflicted is an understatement! :D

This post was edited

Andy

You don't buy a 4x4 for good fuel economy, none of them are good, some are marginally better than others. Even diesels which are popular out here use more than people will admit, or they have long range tanks, and always seem to have "at least 1/2 a tank left". I have a V6 petrol Nissan Pathfinder, 18 years old and it loves fuel off road and on short stints around town, cruising on the highway its pretty good and has plenty of pick up for what it is.

I've been on the Jeep website here and some of the models you refer to are not listed so maybe they won't be imported here. The V6 petrol, similar to my current car, will be similar in fuel use I imagine as it has plenty of power (200+ kw) it's the off-road ability, on road comfort for a daily drive and overall functionality. Not sure whether to consider chasing a deal on a run-out model or wait for the new version.

A while ago I posted some questions about the electrics and some problems, do you know if they have been fixed? I'm always wary about trusting user groups sites with back yard mechanics giving sometimes highly technical advice.

Cheers, SBN.

This post was edited

By the way, what are the main differences / improvements between the current model and the new design? Is it cosmetic and comfort or engine or off road capability?

This post was edited

AndyYou don't buy a 4x4 for good fuel economy...Cheers, SBN.

I know, that's what I sort of said! :DDD If that were the case, I sure as hell would not be looking at buying a new one! I was just making a comment, as you asked! ;DDD

This post was edited

Personally Im thrilled to see the new Jeep pickup make its debut. Im most of a hord core wheeler. I go on many Jeep outing and other types of rigs to enjoy our sport. Ill know it wont be long before I see one out on the trail. Ill be sure to drive up meet and wheel with these new jeeps. These kind of changes makes our sport exciting and thrilling. It probably wont be long before Im helping winch one back over on his wheels or out of a tight jam. Cant wait!!

This post was edited

Personally Im thrilled to see the new Jeep pickup make its debut. Im most of a hord core wheeler. I go on many Jeep outing and other types of rigs to enjoy our sport. Ill know it wont be long before I see one out on the trail. Ill be sure to drive up meet and wheel with these new jeeps. These kind of changes makes our sport exciting and thrilling. It probably wont be long before Im helping winch one back over on his wheels or out of a tight jam. Cant wait!!

:DDDD

I'm only 11 years into off roading and 4x4ing. I was always into it but never had the chance to get out there and do it, mostly out of concern for not knowing what to do. I've only been stuck once and my buddy, the trail boss, said to me, "I'll give you a few tries to get out on your own before I help you. Ya gotta learn!" I did get unstuck on the second try and realized that I just took the wrong line of approach to that part of the trail. I'm teaching my son in law and grandson the ropes in hopes that I will just go along for the ride in the future! ;D

Seems as though everyone is buying Jeeps nowadays. Lots of women/young girls driving new Wranglers. I see some pretty nice Jeeps that are set up for off roading but you can tell these Jeeps never leave the paved roads. They are expensive, high profile grocery getters! I've had several women tell me, when asked, "where do you go off road with your Jeep?" " What? I don't go off road. I don't want to ruin my car!" :DDDDD They could have saved some serious cash and bought a Honda Civic or Prius! ;DDD

I expect the Jeep Gladiator will be a hot ticket item and hard to come by. I've got to sell my '01 XJ to my grandson before I pull the trigger on the Gladiator. Hopefully by the time that happens, the craze will have wined down and there will be more of them to choose from and a little less expensive!

This post was edited

The new Jeeps have been delayed coming here. They got a really bad safety review. Is there an upgrade going on? What are you hearing in the US?

If I buy one it would be my daily drive for a while as well as being tricked up for off road use over time. My wife and kids would drive it too so safety is a consideration.

This post was edited

From my experience of having worked as a technician for a name brand GM division I would never purchase a 1st year new model release. No matter how well a manufacturer thinks the new model is designed, there are several unseen problems they don't see until the public has time to drive one and the owners become the final testers. Then the buyer is the one wasting their time for repairs.

Just my opinion.

This post was edited

From my experience of having worked as a technician for a name brand GM division I would never purchase a 1st year new model release. No matter how well a manufacturer thinks the new model is designed, there are several unseen problems they don't see until the public has time to drive one and the owners become the final testers. Then the buyer is the one wasting their time for repairs.Just my opinion.

Those were actually my thoughts after I posted the original post. I think I'm going for a 4 dr Wrangler Sport, Sahara or Limited. The Rubicon is much more than I need for the type of off roading I do and man are they expensive! hahahaha

I figure I'll lease a Wrangler for a couple years, let Jeep get the bugs outta the truck and then lease a truck in a couple of years.

This post was edited

Just ordered a Chevy Colorado. Has what I need in a 4WD, towing capacity, and I can fit it into the garage in the winter with all the toys.

This post was edited