Traveling after Brexit

I have many holidays in Europe each year, searching for the sun and somewhere warm enough to be naked. But what will happen after Brexit? I guess Ryanair will be OK as it's Irish. What about the UK airlines? Will the IHIC medical card still be valid? If not travel insurance will cost more. And I've heard we'll have to apply for visas and a green card if we are going to hire a car. We won't be able to bring home as much tobacco and booze but it will cost less (being genuinely duty free).

This topic was edited
RE:Traveling after Brexit

It will be duty free but not profit free - guess who will pocket the difference. As an example my favourite whisky costs 10 pounds more in Gatwick duty-free than it does in my local Sainsbury's.
Some things never change.

This post was edited

I have decided that I am not going to travel to the UK after March.... Staying here at what is now my home..

This post was edited

All on the government website, but they don't really know, but if there's no deal I wouldn't be too surprised to find we'll have plenty of time to look at our nice blue passports while we stand in a queue, and maybe the exchange rate is going to get even worse than it is at the moment.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenger-travel-to-the-eu-by-air-rail-or-sea-after-brexit

And Gatwick "duty free" isn't duty free if you're travelling to the EU, but we can buy stuff in the EU that's often cheaper and bring it back.

This post was edited

The EU have stated that they have come up with a method where air travel will be able to carry on even if there is a no deal when we come out. This most likely the case because they will know how hard EU countries will be hit if they loose the British tourist.

This post was edited

All on the government website, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenger-travel-to-the-eu-by-air-rail-or-sea-after-brexit

That is a very useful website. As I understand it, if we Brexit with no deal. I will need to get a 1968 IDP (International Driving Permit) from the Post Office if I want to drive in Europe. My Passport will also need at least 6 months before expiry (it has).

This post was edited

All on the government website, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenger-travel-to-the-eu-by-air-rail-or-sea-after-brexitThat is a very useful website. As I understand it, if we Brexit with no deal. I will need to get a 1968 IDP (International Driving Permit) from the Post Office if I want to drive in Europe. My Passport will also need at least 6 months before expiry (it has).

You've needed +6 months on your passport and an IDP to visit and drive in many countries outside of the EU for years, so what you mention above is most likely to be the case within the EU post- 'B'word. But once we get there we can still be nude in our favourite places, that won't change!

This post was edited

It will be duty free but not profit free - guess who will pocket the difference. As an example my favourite whisky costs 10 pounds more in Gatwick duty-free than it does in my local Sainsbury's.Some things never change.

I never buy alcohol in an airport "Duty Free" for that reason. Whilst the prices are slightly cheaper than in the high Street it is pretty much all profit for the airport. It is a total rip-off.

80% of the High Street price for a bottle of whisky is Duty and VAT so, in theory, a 20 bottle of whisky on the High Street should be around 4.00 "Duty Free".

This post was edited