64-66 Mustangs....anybody have any experience?

I'm looking at a local '66 Mustang convertible with the 6 cylinder...does anybody have any experience with evaluating these cars? I've found articles generally regarding rust and engine mounts on the small V-8s but that's it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This topic was edited
RE:64-66 Mustangs....anybody have any experience?

Hope others chime in but for me, this is what I've learned since owning my '67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Coupe.

Is it your Dream Car or just a project car? What is the car worth and are you looking to restore it, drive it or restore it and show it? Show Cars cost lots of money where as daily drivers are less expensive to restore. If it's something to keep you busy and you're not as worried about getting your money back or at least breaking even on your project, then I'd do it if it's a car you'd like to have. From what I've heard and read, early model Mustangs are easy to work on but not sure how available parts are. I've found lots of after market parts for my Chevelle but they are cheaply made. It's fun to own and drive around and I enjoy people coming up to me and asking me about it or compliment the car but it's still not my dream car.

I am dealing with a dilemma with my car. It's not my Dream Car. It's only worth about 12-15 thousand after it's restored. I've got about 8 into it and it really needs at least another 10, just to get it in nice, safe, reliable condition. In a condition that I would be okay allowing my kids and grandkids to drive it. Do I put that kinda money into it? I suspect, before too long, that I'll be the owner of a '67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Coupe paper weight! :DDDD

I need to get it into shape so I can rely on it making it up to other nude clubs and resorts for Nude Car Shows!

This post was edited

My cousin is a Mustang fanatic. He knows the limit of my abilities and this is what he advised. You want a southern car and buy one that's already done or near done. On the norm people usually get 50% of what they have in them. I know I have watched some really nice cars like Mustangs go for good buys across the auction block. I realize there are other cars like some Mopars that rule doesn't apply to. Those things bring just plain stupid money.

There is a host of Mustang groups on line and a vast amount of parts suppliers. Generally car guys are fantastic to answer the most basic of questions and guys that can answer some pretty in depth ones.

This post was edited

I have since found out more about the car. It's a originally a southern California car that was purchased in central Florida about ten years ago. It appears to have been restored several years ago...quite well. The only issue it has is the paint is cracked in a few spots. It's undercoated better than my other vehicles ever thought about being and even has the "FoMoCo" bag under the hood. I'd rate it a solid '9' without putting it up on the rack; I did get on the ground to look under it and can't see any problems. I'm about to become a 'Pony' type.

This post was edited

Sounds like you found a gem! Not all are flawless but some need little work to become that way! Congrats on the find and becoming a Pony owner. Have fun and be ready to answer lots of questions! :DDDD

I had to read up on my car because I was getting asked questions I couldn't answer. I finally had to do the same thing and research where this car was from, how many owners before me and still don't have a complete history. ;D

This post was edited

OK...first repair in the works...the brakes don't stop for squat!! I know it has a 'no assist' master cylinder but it should stop OK. I suspect the wheel cylinders have given up, coated the shoes with fluid and DON"T STOP....oh well. I've carefully driven it down the road ... just a few rattles and 'old car' noises. My trouble is all the good local shops were torn up by Michael and I'm hunting for a competent person. I want someone to stick it on the rack and check it out while doing the brakes. I may give up and do them in my shop. We'll see.

This post was edited

Finding a good mechanic is tough! I've found two that work on my '67 Chevelle. When I get pissed at one of the guys who's shop is closest to us, I take to the other guy. I come back to the guy that's closest if the other guy is so busy he can't fit me in. Both of them good mechanics but the shop closest to us is wishy washy when it comes to getting the car done when promised.

Hope you find a good mechanic!

This post was edited