Public Nudity

Should public nudity be legal?

This topic was edited
RE:Public Nudity

I believe that nudity on ones own property should be legal.

I'd like to think yes and Europe is already decades ahead of the States in terms of public nudity. However, I think Greg makes an interesting point or a good first start - legalizing it on your personal property. Might be a good beginning.

Overall, though, I do think public nudity should be legalized; just not lewdness.

This post was edited

I agree it would be a good start. Simple nudity, especially in one's own back yard should be fine. But I do understand that a majority of people are still offended by seeing people running around nude even if across the yard. Small steps are needed and social media and the press, celebrities etc can help by not treating it as a joke or misbehavior. I'd also like to have simple skinny dipping off my own boat not intentionally near others as simply OK.

This post was edited

Depends on what definition you're using as "public." I agree with others that state that nudity on your property should not be illegal but care and respect should be taken not to intentionally upset, anger or make your neighbors uncomfortable. Most times, people use the word "uncomfortable or offensive" to hide their own embarrassment but don't want to use the word "embarrassed" because it makes them feel as though they can't handle a certain situation.

I doubt seriously that we will find a time, in my remaining life time, where it is legal to be naked on your property. Some states have laws as such but then local laws and ordinances over rule those state laws and you can still be cited or arrested or both. It would be enough for me/us if we were guaranteed that we would not be harassed by the police for simply being nude on our property.

As for nudity in public as far as going to the market, getting fuel, going to the bank... should it be legal? Sure, but in reality, it won't happen. Not in today's political climate and certainly not with the way younger people are being raised. All you have to do is visit an exercise gym locker room and witness the sheer idiocy of younger people refusing to undress to take a shower or take a shower with swim suits on for fear of someone seeing them naked. Witness their disgust at others being naked in the locker room, male and female, and their unfounded accusations and name calling of those that are comfortable being naked at their locker, in the shower, in the sauna and that's just a few examples.

This post was edited

Yes on private property.

Yes in public.

No tollerance for lewdness in public.

This post was edited

Yes on private property.

Yes in public.

No tollerance for lewdness in public.

This post was edited

In Florida it is legal to be nude in our own yard. There was a man in Stuart, FL that was on the news for doing yard work in his front yard or washing his car in the nude and the neighbors complained, the cops came and they couldn't do anything about it. He seemed to be on a fairly busy road and I guess school buses went by with kids in it and parents didn't like that. While it is legal, I wouldn't do it if it bothered my neighbors like that.

This post was edited

The question is simple, but how do you define public vs. private, nudity vs. titillation and legal vs. moral? In the US we are missing a culture of respectfulness. We want full freedom to be who we are and do what we want, but expect everybody and everything to cave if our sense of entitlement isn't being met. In terms of protecting children, how can we be against non-sexual nudity and allow public graphic violence on TV? There's so much hypocrisy out there. We need to chill, look the other way occasionally and remember that it's our example that means the most to the community and in raising kids.

This post was edited

In Florida it is legal to be nude in our own yard. There was a man in Stuart, FL that was on the news for doing yard work in his front yard or washing his car in the nude and the neighbors complained, the cops came and they couldn't do anything about it. He seemed to be on a fairly busy road and I guess school buses went by with kids in it and parents didn't like that. While it is legal, I wouldn't do it if it bothered my neighbors like that.

I had forgotten about the gent in Florida! I recall that. Agree though - there should be a peaceful way to coexist.

This post was edited

Yes it should be legal

This post was edited

It is in many places now, and in most jurisdictions, nudity isn't against the law (it's not a criminal code offense in most cases), it's policed by a city regulation or By-law which is enforced by fines and/or suspension of licenses etc.

This post was edited