Polyamory and Nudity

Is polyamory common in the nudist world?

This topic was edited
RE:Polyamory and Nudity

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I haven't experienced any discussion of polyamory in nudist communities. However, I do have a theory.

Nudism, in general, requires the ability to question what society accepts as normal in regard to people's bodies and what is acceptable with sexuality. Therefore, the people who have this ability will be able to use it with other parts of their lives. This may include questioning whether monogamy or polyamory is better for them as an individual and as a couple. This is just a general theory as I haven't actually spoken with anyone in the nudist community about this.

This post was edited

As a nudist, some of us often have to live two lives being our textile life with it's social circle and our nudist life and social circle. While this is by no means a scientific sample more of a simple observation, poly only occurs in my nudist social circle.

This post was edited

Is polyamory common in the nudist world?

No, I don't think it is common. Most nudists are conventionally partnered or single, just like non-nudists. But the above comments are very astute, in that you might see people questioning conventional partnering as they question conventional attitudes about clothing. There may be more nudists who have open relationships, this is somewhat common among men partnered with men but certainly not always the case. Polyamory suggests loving sexual relationships that include more than two people. Of the polyamorous groups I know of now, none are nudist.

This post was edited

I haven't seen where its common. As a member of both cultural groups, I just don't see that one group is any more common within the other group.

This post was edited

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I haven't experienced any discussion of polyamory in nudist communities. However, I do have a theory.Nudism, in general, requires the ability to question what society accepts as normal in regard to people's bodies and what is acceptable with sexuality. Therefore, the people who have this ability will be able to use it with other parts of their lives. This may include questioning whether monogamy or polyamory is better for them as an individual and as a couple. This is just a general theory as I haven't actually spoken with anyone in the nudist community about this.

I think if we look at the countercultural nexus of the 60's and 70's from which nudism, gay rights, sexual revolution, feminist revolution, Black power, polyamory and "free love", anarchism and hippy culture emerged there is a common link in that this is one of the ideas explored and practiced seriously in counter culture alongside nudism etc etc. But is it a part of the philosophy? I don't think so, rather nudism is an offshoot from the greater social liberatory ideology of the 1960's along with polyamory. But you're right, any time we challenge our preconceptions others may fall as well.

This post was edited

I went to a single poly meeting and found similarities with nudism in that practitioners are less conventional/traditional and more honest and authentic. There some to be a wide variety of ages and demographics from hip millennials to free love 60s holdouts with the common interest of strong and committed relationships outside of the restrictive norms of conventional monogamy. I was surprised how much of the practice of poly is built on healthy communication of consent, respect and kindness. No "better halves"; each is a whole and confident entity.

Given the focus on asking and receiving consent, I'm not sure if poly people consider nudity to be an immediate right or a terms of agreement, and imagine it varies quite a bit.

This post was edited

I went to a single poly meeting and found similarities with nudism in that practitioners are less conventional/traditional and more honest and authentic. There some to be a wide variety of ages and demographics from hip millennials to free love 60s holdouts with the common interest of strong and committed relationships outside of the restrictive norms of conventional monogamy. I was surprised how much of the practice of poly is built on healthy communication of consent, respect and kindness. No "better halves"; each is a whole and confident entity.Given the focus on asking and receiving consent, I'm not sure if poly people consider nudity to be an immediate right or a terms of agreement, and imagine it varies quite a bit.

consent is always something to be explicit although non verbal eye contact is my preferred means of giving consent, it's not common which is a pity because it is hot. If a play space is consent implied that should be stated and known. definitely wanting to explore poly life but no idea how lol, this event sounds fun.

This post was edited