Why Locker Room Nudity is Dying?

Interesting Article....

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/naked-locker-room-guys

This topic was edited
RE:Why Locker Room Nudity is Dying?

Super interesting read, and also very noticeable at my gym. Guess I'm the old guy flapping it around...

This post was edited

I saw a young man doing the towel dance the other day. I was very close to asking him why he like so many guys do that when it is easier to just strip naked and if modest quickly wrap your towel around you. Decided against asking him. Was afraid of creating an unnecessary scene.

This post was edited

There is a steam room and whirlpool in the gym locker room where I go. Only once in six years- a guy made a smart remark because I was nude. Most of the time guys are naked. Recently a guy about in his upper thirties was in the steam room wearing shorts. Then again I went in naked and he came in with the shorts on. I carried a normal conversation with him and wasn't uncomfortable about it. Then last night he came in again with the shorts on. I started to feel uncomfortable about being naked and decided not to speak. The whole time I was thinking about how to bring up the idea of asking why he felt he needed to wear shorts. I couldn't get my thoughts together well enough to tell him how much better it feels naked. Even if he was wrapped in a towel I would probably feel different.
I am curious if anyone has a good idea how or what to ask a guy who is wearing shorts in a steam room when most use it bare?

This post was edited

It is my opinion that asking the question would be inappropriate. Yes, it would seem normal to be naked in the steam room, however; not all people have the same degree of self-confidence that you or I might have. Each of us is different in our own way and rather than critique another person's differences perhaps we might embrace the difference and accept that it has value to that person.

This post was edited

I think you are right!
Just accept each for who they are.

Thanks for your opinion.

This post was edited

Awesome thread guys and great to read about your experiences. I too have experienced the "clothed steam room user" and even tennis shoes too, which I really found pretty odd and disgusting..but then again, how do you approach that person and suggest they get nude? Hard thing to do really.

Recently I did notice that our gym has put up signs that ask that everyone remove "street clothes, shoes, work out gear" prior to using the wet areas (sauna/steam room/whirlpool). Generally it seems most guys at our gym (young and old alike) go nude or opt for the towel, which is nice to see..it really is an odd or rare thing to see someone at our gym clothed and using the wet areas. A co worker of mine was in the whirlpool the other day and I was nude and when he got up to leave, I noticed he had on some tight spandex type shorts..I thought to myself.."gross, I wonder if that is what he wore while working out?" I had not noticed he was clothed as he was already in the tub when I got in with him. I guess to each his own really, weird world we live in for sure but typical American attitude towards nudity too..I say stand your ground..stay naked..show the non nudes that it is ok and that you are comfortable in your skin and saunas and wet areas are really meant to be enjoyed while nude.

This post was edited

In these sorts of situations Ive taken the path of being a positive role model for nudity. By being comfortable in your nakedness and enjoying nudity youll be making a case for casual nudism. Many may not learn from your example, but maybe a few will begin to appreciate the opportunity to enjoy a nude sauna, steam room, or shower. Unless the textile brings up the subject, youll likely put them on the defensive and do more harm than good. If the other person makes a caustic remark, either ignore it or have a witty response ready.

This post was edited

I am curious if anyone has a good idea how or what to ask a guy who is wearing shorts in a steam room when most use it bare?

I have no problem with that! I would probably just blurt out "Dude, what's with the shorts!" then let the conversation go from there.
I've had several conversations in the sauna at the Korean spa.

This post was edited

The article nicely encapsulated the reasons for increased resistance to nudity in the locker room. This trend likely encourages body shame as an element embedded in culture. Health problems associated with shame (depression, obesity, anxiety, compulsivity, etc.) are/will be a crisis that will only accelerate without a major cultural shift towards acceptance of nudity in appropriate settings. Change starts with one...and us.

This post was edited

Goodness, arent you a bit over-dressed for the occasion?

To be honest I actually do say that but only to friends I know already and who usually go nude, if they happen to show up in shorts. Usually theyre warming up before their workout, so we laugh about it.

I did say it once to a guy in the steam room in full street clothes. It went over okay because he knew he humorously was out of place, like someone wearing a three-piece suit and tie to a swimming pool.

This post was edited