RE:Define "Offensive Language"

These threads hit a bump and easily bounce off topic.
Most all is good reading.
Later,

This post was edited

Do adults really need a full discussion on what is and is not a curse word? If you don't know the difference, then you ought not be writing in public forums.

This post was edited

Offensive language is language that offends someone. I have offended people for citing something from Wikipedia (which was biased, though I wasn't aware of it) and I have not offended people with four letter words in an appropriate context. I try to be sensitive to the listener, and have learned not to defend when I unintentionally offend, but rather to listen and apologize for my offense despite my intentions.

This post was edited

You don't need to apologize for saying something "offensive" if it is the truth. Don't let the political correctness nazis control you, brother!

As a member of society with Asperger's syndrome, it is offensive to me to not tell the truth for fear of offending some snowflake or Political Correctness slave. If everyone just told the truth all the time, then whoever was offended by that would easily stand out as your guilty party.

This post was edited

Hear hear!!!!

This post was edited

Right on JeepNude!!!

This post was edited

Hey, I just started this topic because I miss poking turtles!
And NO, that's not a colorful metaphor!
And it's not bullshit either. Those were fun times for me........ but not for the turtle.

This post was edited

Oh, and Calvin, antagonizing for its sheer entertainment value is in my blood. Especially those with short fuses or big beaks! :-)

This post was edited

I think offensive language is offensive when it falls into one of the following categories:
1. Does the situation warrant the language ?
2. Is the language intended to be offensive ?

My view on it is;
1. If the language isn't warranted, then it is just not classy
2. If the language is intended to be offensive, then it is probably offensive. However, in that case, I just disregard the person.

A side note on it is that what one person finds offensive, the next person mightn't Some people find nudity offensive.

This post was edited

A side note on it is that what one person finds offensive, the next person mightn't Some people find nudity offensive.

I agree, some can find offense in any word from the dictionary. I think if you substitute a word (frekin) or abbreviate (fu) it is still communicating the same thing, so why do sensors allow them if everyone knows what they really want to say?

This post was edited