A question to all the salty sailers.

Hi there.

I'll get strait to the point. From thou's experience sailors out there. What would be considered the recommended captions license, for a newbie aspiring sailor?

Little contexts.
Have been looking at the live for a few years now and is saving up to get a small sailboat. And start sailing most likely the Caribbean, hopefully the tropical island of the pacific. But will have to make a crossing to Africa at some point. So at some point there will be a ocean crossing. Daz not need to be right away.

The plan. Short version.
I'm looking at buying a small sailboat around 26 to 30+ size. Some thing like a Islander 26 or a Catalina mk2 26 or maybe even a Catalina C30. That will be easy to handle solo and not to costly to maintain. There is a Islander 26 or the Catalina C30 available for about $2k. Both need a touch of TLC and the Islander needs a new motor. Witch is fine, I want to go electric anyway. "see link below" So lets say conservatively I will be able to splash at around $5k to maybe $6k. And if it turns out that I can not cut it. It wont break my pocket.

Truth is I just really want to get out there and scuba and enjoy live a little. And I want to go while the going is still good. And while I'm still young.

Regards
Werner

Islander 26 ]https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83386

This topic was edited
RE:A question to all the salty sailers.

You need a blue water boat to make those trips. Dont even think of doing that in a Catalina . I own and have owned 4.

You really need to learn the difference between a boat designed for coastal cruising and one designed for ocean passages. Night and day difference. My 2cents

This post was edited

That is most certainly good advice and I do agree. The plan is that when I get to the point where I'm ready to cross an ocean or do far off islands. To get a new boat. Some thing like a Pearson 36 or a Alajuela 38. What ever I get. It have to have a skeg hung rudder. Preferably center cockpit and a ketch. And nothing under 10m. Even tho I know and have seen it people cross an ocean in a 23ft yacht. "Usa to Hawaii" I'm not going to do it. So I totally agree with you that if I want to cross an ocean. I will need a new boat.

How ever. Thus will be my first boat and hence, I am still really new at sailing. And as one caption told me. Start by getting a small boat that easy to sail and cheap to maintain. So that I can learn to sail and get some experience and sea km under the belt. And when you have been sailing for a few months and you still love the lifestyle. Then look at a bigger boat. At lest then I would know what to look for and more impotently, I would know what I'm getting my self in to. Also there is a lot of forgotten gems laying in some of the remote marinas that people just left there. That can be get for cheap and with not to much work. Be put back in the water and be a full blue water ready boat.

That is why I'm looking at a smaller and cheaper boat. A starting point.

This post was edited

You received good advice for starting out with a small and inexpensive boat.

I would recommend taking a week long live-aboard class to learn the basics, ASA 1, 2 & 3 or similar in other countries.
It's a small investment which could save you a lot of money and headaches.
Improper scope while setting anchor may allow drifting into a million dollar yacht, something you don't want to be liable for.
Spend a couple years learning the basics ..... not kidding about this, even a couple years is a very fast pace.
Learn how to properly heave-to.

Once comfortable with Island hopping if you do want to go offshore advance your skills with further certification.
An internationally recognized "Safety at Sea" class such as offered by "Cruising Club of America" is advisable.
This type class is a requirement in offshore racing for experienced sailors to brush up on their skills.
For a novice sailor it's an invaluable introduction to a wealth of knowledge.
Offshore basics such as SSB, communication protocol, PLB and others are touched on.
Further knowledge of these basics beyond the class will be needed for safe offshore travel.

The best start I've seen for getting into life aboard a sailboat is the book "Get Real, Get Gone" by Rick Page.
Get started, it's worthwhile!!

This post was edited

We crossed a couple oceans in a Pearson 365. You can read about it at WWW.GalleyWenchTales.com which is Dana's travel blog. Go back to 2016 and before for ocean crossing. 2012 and 2013 for the Caribbean.
Good luck!

This post was edited

Was your Pearson a centerboard keel? We looked at a Pearson with the centerboard however the boat had other issues. Wondering how you like the centerboard .... if that's what you have.

This post was edited

Not a centerboard. See all specs here at Sailboat Data which is the repository for all boat designs.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-365-ketch

This post was edited

I would buy a small boat that is raced in regatta's in your area. I learned most of my sailing skills from racers. You could even crew for someone without buying a boat. It's a great way to get introduced into the sailing community. It seems that you have done your research from the web, now you just need to go get your feet wet!

This post was edited

Hi ever one.

Thank you all for the great replays and advice. Sorry I have not replay in some time. I was struggling a bit with some thing.

@JanDJ Thank you for the advice. That was what I wanted to know about. I have looked in my area and there is a course for Day-sailors and then Coastal sailors. It seems like it would be more or less what you are talking about. The only two levels above it would be Offshore sailing and Master of the ocean. But it looks like Master of the ocean is for any yacht up to 200 metric tons. So that would include MV as well. Not sure I'm waiting for them to open up for the year so I can get more information form them. Thank you for the advice and I'll be on the look out for that book. Oh and I am aware of the risk of dragging anchor. I will defiantly get my self an anchor that is at lest 1.5x times the max recommended size for my boat. "Rockwell or Manta if possible" And at lest 100m of chain. Dragging anchor is the last thing I want to deal with.

@waynedana Thanks I'll go have a look at it. I follow Dan and Kika form sailing Uma and the gang form SV Delos as well as some of the others out there. I love how Dan and Kika fixed up there sailboat and all the things thy have been doing in the Bahamas. If I remember right form there website. Thy also have a Person 36 sloop. With a deep fin keel and thy converted it to a electric drive.

@53dodgeman Ours side of the world. Most of the people are very reluctant to take on new deckhands. If you don't have certification and a decent amount of experience. Thy just tell you thy cant help you. At lest that have been my experience. But I will defiantly keep my ear to the ground for any openings.

This post was edited

@As-can
Dan and kika's boat is a Pearson 36, not a 365. Though the same length there are a lot of differences in design. The 36 is a sport boat, the 365 is a cruising boat. Fin keel versus modified full. Balanced rudder versus skeg hung. 50 gals of water tankage versus 150 gals. And so on. They heavily modified their hull to make it seaworthy and it still doesn't have the numbers to really qualify as passage worthy.
That said, we have seen people crossing oceans in boats you wouldn't think would be good. Esp in the Caribbean, as long as the boat is cared for, with a little luck, do what you can afford and makes you happy to be aboard. My 2 cents anyways.
Good luck!

This post was edited