RE:Epilators: has anyone tried them

I have been using an epilator for several years on my pubes, chest, and, pits without any issues. Provides a cleaner longer lasting shave than a razor. Tried it on my back, but too painful. Rather go for a wax or shave with clippers to avoid ingrowns. Usually shave twice weekly. Now it's pain free.

This post was edited

It was suggested that I try an epilator a couple of years ago. Yes, it took some getting used to but I like how regular use means I need to do it less and less. My pubic hair still grows the most so I shave that still but the rest of my body stays smooth much longer since I've used an epilator. I've got no regrets about using an epilator and am certainly smoother for longer now.

This post was edited

I bought one and tried in once on myself and once on my wife. We didn't get far because it hurt like hell! We took the loss in money spent in stride and went right back to shaving. I will resume getting wax treatments once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

This post was edited

I bought one and tried in once on myself and once on my wife. We didn't get far because it hurt like hell! We took the loss in money spent in stride and went right back to shaving. I will resume getting wax treatments once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

Wimps!!!

No, I get why you didn't continue, the slightest extra length of hair can make quite a difference, the hair needs to be long enough to be grabbed by the epilator, yet not very long at the same time, once you work out what works best for you the pain seems relatively negligible, or so it is with us.

This post was edited

That's what I read about waxing and all the horror stories of pain, ripped skin, redness... blah, blah. But I didn't have the pain that was described in posts, I didn't get any skin ripped off and there was a little redness. Not sure why I couldn't take the pain of the epilator but having my pubic, scrotum and penis hairs pulled with by the roots was okay! ;DDD I only wish my wife would allow me to get fully waxed. She likes my fuzzy butt, legs and arms. I did have the esthetician wax my entire butt and 2/3rds down my thigh, once, along with back, upper arms, under arms, ears, nose and of course a Brazilian wax. 2hr session and didn't mind the sting at all but that epilator was a no go for me! ;DDD

This post was edited

Yep. Epilators suck. First of all, I found it to be very ineffective due to the breaking off of the hairs at the skin surface as opposed to them being pulled out by the root. And that was on "smooth areas" of my body that had no wrinkles! When used in pubic area, it grabbed onto the small folds of skin and cut me bad, even though I tried to pull my skin taught. I will never try one ever again. And for the record, I have an extremely high pain tolerance.

Don

This post was edited

I have been using one for many years. Very painful at first, but gets better with more frequent use. I use it on my face, pits, pubes, and arms at least weekly. Been smooth for many years.

This post was edited

Been epilating for 22 years. Smoother and longer lasting than shaving.

This post was edited

Was considering trying epilator but the replies here describing the effectiveness and discomfort suggest a rethink

This post was edited

I use a hand epilation technique to remove the longer and thicker hairs, which leaves me not smooth, but with a light covering, which blends in with the rest of my body. Wearing a rubber glove and selecting the ones that can be gripped is all it takes. Once I start, the pain becomes less noticeable as my skin seems resigned to it's fate. The ones that remain are in the 1/4" to 1/2" range and don't appear as stubble. Even if you want a smooth look, this may work as a first step before using the machine on the remaining hairs.

This post was edited