Red Letters

Question for discussion:

How would Christianity be different if the only Bible we had was the red letters?

This topic was edited
RE:Red Letters

I don't understand the question, do you mean only the parts spoken or quoted from Christ?

Yes, exactly. What if we had left the Old Testament to Judaism, and didn't canonize the Epistles, but just stayed with only the sayings of Christ. How would that kind of Christianity differ from what we now see?

This post was edited

We'd miss out on most of the supporting information that rounds out the whole picture and gives much more understanding, but the essential elements of how to be saved and live for Him would still be there.

This post was edited

I agree, there's just too much validation and too much of the message of implementation of Christ's teachings in the books. I don't think it'd have the same message if it was only the word of God.

This post was edited

I believe if you want to go to Heaven the red letter part will get you there. The rest of the Bible is pretty interesting. I've believed for a long time that you don't need anything else if you just do what Jesus said you'll go to Heaven.

This post was edited

You can not fully understand the words of the greatest first Century Jew (ie. Jesus) without understanding the Old Testament background. Yes the words of Jesus are important, but we need more than just them.

This post was edited