RE:Is it wrong to wear shorts commando to work?

I stopped wearing underwear since I was 14. Went without underwear at school, HS job, then the Navy (after boot camp), at work after I was out of the Navy and then my entire career as a firefighter. Was it noticeable, yes, at times. Was it ever commented on, yes but in a playful/joking way and it didn't stop me. Is underwear actually needed to work, recreate, live? Underwear is not required or essential. In certain cases, it may be a benefit but is it really essential? If you're exposing yourself to someone, then you'll have a problem but if you're wearing clothing that is accepted in the work place and you choose not to wear underwear, I'm not sure your employer or anyone else should take issue with it. If a female employee is wearing a sundress, are employers going around checking for bra straps and pantie lines? There's a line an employer over stepping their bounds on your privacy, that needs not to be crossed.

The male bulge can be seen even if you do wear underwear. I don't think there's any way of covering it up short of using duct tape. If you're a larger bulge guy, the duct tape may not even help. I think you just need to be smart about the exposure to others but I find it questionable that you could be reprimanded or fired because your bulge was simply visible. Mine was in my fire department uniform for 32 years, in the fire house, in classroom functions, on emergency responses. Both male and female co-workers and subordinates never lodged a complaint.

The comment about a commenters son working for Starbucks and his son being told he had to wear underwear because of his bulge, is a perfect example of an employer over stepping their bounds on your privacy. We are humans and male humans have a penis and some are more noticeable than others. We are not mannequins. Clothing stores have only recently begun to display female mannequins with nipples that show what a particular piece of clothing would look like if a woman went braless. Maybe it's time to put a penis on that male mannequin to show what shorts or pants look like while going commando.

Is this young woman's top permissible to wear at your work place? If so, should she be told she "has" to wear a bra? Another invasion of privacy.

;-)

This post was edited

HR's not gonna have a policy on underwear. Do you get skid marks on your underwear? ... ...

I can't help but think that if a grown man is incapable of cleaning himself, he probably shouldn't be out in public by himself, let alone considering not wearing underwear - and even less should he be walking around naked...

This post was edited

When I was a carpenter I almost always wore shorts and back in the 70's early 80's they were pretty short (quicksilver or Op's). I do remember my partner and I were building an overhang on the front of a bank and were up on ladders. Didn't know until we were done but the women in the bank said they could see everything. They didn't complain.

This post was edited

AndyDi,
While you are right that someone probably could not lose their job for refusing
to wear underwear, in the world of at will employment, it is usually possible to dismiss someone for any or no reason at all.

This post was edited

AndiDi,While you are right that someone probably could not lose their job for refusingto wear underwear, in the world of at will employment, it is usually possible to dismiss someone for any or no reason at all.

not a real big deal but my name is Andy... not Andi. ;-)

If you're working for an employer that is more concerned as to whether you're wearing underwear or not, instead of your work ethic and performance... do you really want to work for that person or that company? Have some principles man!

But if you can't... put on your big girl panties and move on! ;D

This post was edited

I did during the lockdown but they called us back to the company a week ago. They don't want us working at home ceo wants us under one roof. In fact I got an email today frommmy ceo about some webinar that I should watch about the downsides of working from home. Not going to watch it.

This post was edited

AndiDi,While you are right that someone probably could not lose their job for refusingto wear underwear, in the world of at will employment, it is usually possible to dismiss someone for any or no reason at all.not a real big deal but my name is Andy... not Andi. ;-)If you're working for an employer that is more concerned as to whether you're wearing underwear or not, instead of your work ethic and performance... do you really want to work for that person or that company? Have some principles man!But if you can't... put on your big girl panties and move on! ;D

Sorry about the name error, corrected now.
My son was 19 and at his first full time job when the incident occurred. He wouldn't stand for something like that now.

This post was edited

I did during the lockdown but they called us back to the company a week ago. They don't want us working at home ceo wants us under one roof. In fact I got an email today frommmy ceo about some webinar that I should watch about the downsides of working from home. Not going to watch it.

Sounds like your CEO is a control freak. Many companies have found in the past and now with the stay at ho e orders that most (not all) people are happier And more productive working at ho e plus there is a huge savings for the company in real estate, utilities, etc. I worked from home for 13 years an went into the office 4 times in the 13 years I found Igor more done, was more responsive, was happier than in the years previous wherei was always in the office or at customer sites.

This post was edited

I stopped wearing underwear since I was 14. Went without underwear at school, HS job, then the Navy (after boot camp), at work after I was out of the Navy and then my entire career as a firefighter. Was it noticeable, yes, at times. Was it ever commented on, yes but in a playful/joking way and it didn't stop me. Is underwear actually needed to work, recreate, live? Underwear is not required or essential. In certain cases, it may be a benefit but is it really essential? If you're exposing yourself to someone, then you'll have a problem but if you're wearing clothing that is accepted in the work place and you choose not to wear underwear, I'm not sure your employer or anyone else should take issue with it. If a female employee is wearing a sundress, are employers going around checking for bra straps and pantie lines? There's a line an employer over stepping their bounds on your privacy, that needs not to be crossed.The male bulge can be seen even if you do wear underwear. I don't think there's any way of covering it up short of using duct tape. If you're a larger bulge guy, the duct tape may not even help. I think you just need to be smart about the exposure to others but I find it questionable that you could be reprimanded or fired because your bulge was simply visible. Mine was in my fire department uniform for 32 years, in the fire house, in classroom functions, on emergency responses. Both male and female co-workers and subordinates never lodged a complaint.The comment about a commenters son working for Starbucks and his son being told he had to wear underwear because of his bulge, is a perfect example of an employer over stepping their bounds on your privacy. We are humans and male humans have a penis and some are more noticeable than others. We are not mannequins. Clothing stores have only recently begun to display female mannequins with nipples that show what a particular piece of clothing would look like if a woman went braless. Maybe it's time to put a penis on that male mannequin to show what shorts or pants look like while going commando.Is this young woman's top permissible to wear at your work place? If so, should she be told she "has" to wear a bra? Another invasion of privacy.;-)

I couldn't agree more. There are a number of skin conditions that make wearing underwear more uncomfortable. Women particularly can go through boughts were removing underwear and allowing air can improve comfort. I am an employer and would not intervene unless they were being inappropriate but then I would be focusing on their behaviour not their clothing preference.

My wife would kill me if I went commando to work more because my light work trousers would completely outline my penis. In my shorts however I never wear underwear and have been to the office same with jeans. Then other garment like my kilt there is no way I am wearing underwear :)

I would equally have no issue with a woman going bra-less society has enforced a view that female boobs and nipples are somehow perverse they are no different to ours just often bigger (not always) it is societies issue not the woman preferring a bra-less life, or a nudist preferring nothing at all.

This post was edited

Several of us were sent home and our productivity went through the roof. But we deal with copyrighted images and any breech in online security and it's curtains for the company. They are working on making a secure line for us next year it's all on the IT to do list. You know that game.

This post was edited