Any reason there is no rule for revive a dead post?

I come here to look for new posts but see its usually a 10 year old post getting a comment at the top which hides the newer posts. Anyway these old posts can get locked or maybe establish a rule against reviving a dead post?

This topic was edited
RE:Any reason there is no rule for revive a dead post?

I come here to look for new posts but see its usually a 10 year old post getting a comment at the top which hides the newer posts. Anyway these old posts can get locked or maybe establish a rule against reviving a dead post?

Good luck with that. Can't even get the fakes and spammers deleted let alone the accounts that logged on once 10 years never to be seen again.

Really, how hard is it to scroll past the posts that don't interest you? You already have to scroll past the half dozen word game posts that always seem to be at the top of the list anyway, and one of those "dead" posts may get some updated information posted to it that interests you.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Interesting question. I'd never given it much thought, I tend to look at it in terms of newest comments rather than newest threads. Experience on other forums suggests it is often better to revive an older thread which is relevant rather than start a new one on the same topic, to keep all the information or discussion on one thread rather than lots of short disjointed ones. Makes it easier for other looking for that topic to find, read and follow.
That said, it does sometimes amuse me when people revive an ancient thread just to say "Yay, me too" or some such!

This post was edited

I come here to look for new posts but see its usually a 10 year old post getting a comment at the top which hides the newer posts. Anyway these old posts can get locked or maybe establish a rule against reviving a dead post?Good luck with that. Can't even get the fakes and spammers deleted let alone the accounts that logged on once 10 years never to be seen again.Really, how hard is it to scroll past the posts that don't interest you? You already have to scroll past the half dozen word game posts that always seem to be at the top of the list anyway, and one of those "dead" posts may get some updated information posted to it that interests you.John aka cobeachbum

you clearly miss the point, new topics get started but than buried by people commenting on a 5-10 year old post with some random stuff. The point is, is its the same posts repeated over and over again, which will also drive new members away.

This post was edited

Surely if everyone creates a new thread every few weeks to comment on the same thing the discussions just become disjointed and repeats of what was said in the previous ten threads on the same thing? And providing the older thread is still valid, why start a new one saying the same - and what does it matter if the thread is 5 hours or 5 years old, you're still going to have to either read it or skip the posts you've read and go to the last/latest one just the same, surely?

Likewise, is it any less legitimate to continue a discussion that hasn't been updated for a while than to coninue one which was last updated an hour ago? If there is a valid point or discussion, why not keep it all together? If there isn't anything to be gained, again it makes no difference whether they've added inane drivel to a 5 year or 5 hour old post.

This post was edited

I would never create a new topic if I can find an existing thread which covers it. As others have said, it keeps all the stuff on one subject in one place and quite often a years-old revived topic can contain a load of useful information on past events and attitudes which you wold not have otherwise seen.
In any case it is only two keyboard strokes and mouse clicks (or the tablet equivalent) to go straight to the latest post in groups and one less of each in the forum.

Edited to add:
In any case it is not compulsory to read every previous post every time you look at a topic.

This post was edited

I agree its nice to keep everything in one place instead of having 45 threads on whether or not to close your curtains or some such. The thing the cracks me up/drives me crazy though is when 10 years ago someone started a thread saying what should I do about xyz?, and there are replies from 10 years ago and the thread dies. Then 10 years later someone responds with something like, well have you done abc?, or something like that. Really, the thread died 10 years ago and you really think the OP is still paying attention, let alone even still here?

This post was edited

I actually like to see an older post revitalized. In most cases I missed it the first time and in many cases it revives a good conversation. I understand your point but it is a common issue with other social media platforms as well.

I do wish that TT1 and TT2 would be more responsive to the members. I know they are working hard on the site but they need to communicate better what they are doing and they don't respond to so many issues. In a rare case last November they were both on cam chatting in the room. I thought it was a great thing until at the end TT2 said good night and that she probably won't be on for at least a few months. It seemed odd to me that a site owner (or his better half) will openly admit that they don't attempt to be part of the group.

This post was edited