First Visit for 2020

Yesterday, I went to Gunnison for the first time in 2020. It usually takes me an hour to get down there. Yesterday it took 3 hours. 2 hours waiting to get thru the toll to pay for parking. Normally I go on a Monday or Tuesday in July and August, depending on the weather. But yesterday, had the day off and since it was a nice beach day took a drive down around 12:15. I finally got on the beach by 3:45. It appears everyone decided to hit the beach as well. I did have a nice time while there. I know that on the weekends you have to get there early if you want to find parking. When I did get to the parking lot there was plenty of parking. It seems that people were using credit cards to pay for their beach parking. It did not help that a lot of drivers were cutting the line which slowed things down as well. Hopefully this was just a one time occurrence with the traffic at the beach and not going to be a regular thing. I really do not want to get up early on a weekday to go to the beach.

This topic was edited
RE:First Visit for 2020

Now that I am retired, I never go on a weekend in June - August so I can avoid the crowd.

This post was edited

You are one patient, and determined, nudist! I would have taken one look at the line and turned my car around and headed back home. Glad to know you had a good visit, once you got in.

Are the parking lots all open for full capacity? Rest rooms open? And were folks wearing masks on the beach?

Thanks for the report!

This post was edited

You are one patient, and determined, nudist! I would have taken one look at the line and turned my car around and headed back home. Glad to know you had a good visit, once you got in.Are the parking lots all open for full capacity? Rest rooms open? And were folks wearing masks on the beach?Thanks for the report!

The traffic backup when I was 2 miles away from the beach. I thought I just drove 48 miles. I am almost there. It would not have been bad if all the drivers were not cutting into the line. They wait until they got by the exit and get in by drivers who were not paying attention or was just being nice. Once you got passed the toll and paid your parking, it was clear driving.

The parking lots are full capacity, the rest rooms are open. The soda machines were working. One food truck was there but that was for different types of slushies and drinks. I saw a few with masks but most were not wearing them on the beach. Most were when walking on the blue matts which got extended from last year. Hopefully next year they will extend them in south direction , But its a much shorter walk to the mats then last year. If I missed anything, let me know.

This post was edited

Cool - hope to make my first 2020 visit in a few weeks

This post was edited

That's all good to know - thanks for your reply. In my experience, every season brings a change in the facilities or a new rule. I figured this summer would be no exception, so it's good to know what to expect beforehand.

This post was edited

I just got home from Sandy Hook. I went very early this morning, got there around 6:30. Spent a very nice morning at Gunnison and headed off the beach around 12. The lines of cars trying to get into Sandy Hook were crazy. I've never seen anything like it and on a Monday at 1:00. Cars were coming in off 36 and Ocean and traffic on Ocean was backed up into Sea Bright. It looked like 3 gates were open.

This post was edited

Considering it for "Skinny Dipping Day" on July 11th. It's a Saturday though. Our event has a start time of 9 AM, which I guess is good. I agree with the "morning" assessment - in early, out early!

Still not sure!

This post was edited

Unfortunately I'm working Skinny Dipping Day! :-(
I was going with my group until my schedule was updated. "It is what it is!" I'm still hoping on making a day trip another weekday - I figure traffic & parking will be better on a weekday!

This post was edited