Partners Who Don't

My other half isn't into being naked in public at all and doesn't even like being topless on a beach abroad where others can see. She's certainly not ashamed of her body and is happy to be naked with me in the bedroom. Also she occasionally sleeps naked and is completely comfortable with it. However, when it comes to being naked elsewhere, even downstairs, she just doesn't see the point. It's almost like the upstairs of the house is private and the downstairs a more public area. This is demonstrated by the fact that, even if we're getting ready to go out and she needs something from downstairs she'll always automatically throw on a towel, at the very least, and run down to get it rather than just run down naked. Now it's not as though we have anyone else in the house and we don't have lots people who just drop in unexpectedly. However, this is just her way and she certainly doesn't think it's odd.

The missus also often goes to the local pool or gym with friends so she's no stranger to the changing room. We've discussed this before and she says it's quite usual for women to wear a towel between the changing area and the showers and that most women tend to change in personal cubicles rather than out in the open. She admits she has shown her friend her boobs in private in the past when she was concerned about a lump and she has absolutely no issues with that as she's body confident and there was a reason to do it. However for her, the whole public nudity thing is just plain daft and just as we'd say, 'WHY WEAR CLOTHES WHEN YOU COULD ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF BEING NAKED?' she says, 'WHY BE NAKED WHEN YOU COULD ENJOY THE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION THROUGH CLOTHES'.

One thing she's not comfortable with is me being naked when we're on a beach together and on holiday as she feels I'm 'exposing myself' to others. I know she doesn't see anything positive about it and it does make her awkward and embarrassed even though it's me who's naked and not her. I think this is partly about her feeling that her body is something that's private and although she's happy to share it with me, she's not happy to share it with others (and by share it I mean allow others to see it). So even though she has no issues with me getting naked with the guys in the gym changing room, she does feel a bit let down if I say I want to be naked where others can see in other setting.

Is she being weird and uptight or just conventional? Either way, it just causes arguments if she feels I'm trying to pressure her to get naked with me and that defeats the whole object which is to promote feelings of freedom and relaxation in a completely natural state.

This topic was edited
RE:Partners Who Don't

Its very hard to change a womans mind about certain things (IMO) and even some men are that way too. People often cant let go of the wrong things they were taught well before they were able to make their own determinations.

My wife and I have differing opinions about the subject. She is rarely naked even at home. She also doesnt like me being naked around others but has gotten used to the fact that its going to be that way. However I dont think she will ever accept me being naked in public like at a beach or resort.

Just yesterday we had the start of a conversation about nakedness in the Bible vs shame and the conversation went wrong so fast I just gave it up while rolling my eyes. Good thing she wasnt looking LOL!

The longer I am married the more things I have accepted that I wont be able to change. Instead of trying to I would rather celebrate the things we do have in common and enjoy together and Ill be naked. This passive stance has resulted in her joining me naked in private situations more frequently it seems.

This post was edited

Haha, I love that last paragraph and I have to admire your courage for rolling your eyes, even if you did make sure she wasn't looking first, haha!

This post was edited

Partners who "just don't see a point to walking around completely naked" is not rare at all. Both my ex and current wife voiced that very same opinion at one point. And it can be pretty darn hard to change their minds about it. The "solution" I found to that argument is the clothing-optional resort; where they don't have to "walk around completely naked."

The "I don't want anyone else to see you naked" is most frequently a male argument. But either way it stems from either: the belief that partners should only be nude around their partner (old school values); or possessiveness/jealousy. That one is going to be much harder to deal with.

A friend of mine found his solution to this. He brought his wife to an isolated stretch of river. There he went nude; and his wife couldn't argue against it because it was just the two of them. She even ended up going bottomless to wade in the river with him. Even though it wasn't a "social nudist" outing; well at least he got her to be partially nude with him.

This post was edited

Recently my wife and I were camping in a remote area for a couple days. I was naked the whole time. I was surprised at one point when she got naked too but I quickly found out she was feeling a bit frisky and wanted to get my attention. It worked too!

This post was edited

The longer I am married the more things I have accepted that I wont be able to change. Instead of trying to I would rather celebrate the things we do have in common and enjoy together and Ill be naked.

This was the situation with my late wife. Her nudity was limited to the bedroom/bathroom. I felt that I owned the whole house so I could be naked in all of it! I would not have pushed her to change as it wasn't a need for ours to be a happy marriage.

This post was edited

The longer I am married the more things I have accepted that I wont be able to change. Instead of trying to I would rather celebrate the things we do have in common and enjoy together and Ill be naked.This was the situation with my late wife. Her nudity was limited to the bedroom/bathroom. I felt that I owned the whole house so I could be naked in all of it! I would not have pushed her to change as it wasn't a need for ours to be a happy marriage.
Same for me.

This post was edited

I have enjoyed being naked on beaches and country walks for a few years now. I did not encourage my partner, rather gave her the opportunity to join me,which she did and has done so now on many occasions but she always prefers it when we are completely anonymous on a beach or wherever, having people around is not a problem if we just blend in. As some of the places we go are frequented by regulars I have started to chat to people and some social interaction takes place, it's just friendly,casual chit chat. She has now started to want to avoid those places which is unfortunate and I now find myself caught between a rock and a hard place! I do not want to upset her and I really want us to continue enjoying our naked time but I really like the social side and chatting with like minded people occasionally. The compromise that seems to be evolving is that I go to a couple of my favourite places and chat with acquaintances and we go to other equally nice places where we keep to ourselves.

Compromise is the essence in having a lovely relationship without having to give up everything you enjoy and this comes through an open, honest two way discussion.No one should give in too much and no one should take too much, you've just got to find that 'middle ground' :-)

This post was edited

Yes I have to agree with you . There is no way I am going to convince my wife to go naked with a group of people. She is barely naked at home except for getting ready for bed . Maybe sometime sleeping naked .

This post was edited