RE:Cited for indecent exposure!

Great outcome. Didn't this hit the news a couple of years ago? I thought I saw something like this a few summers back? Is it just now going to court?
Thanks,

This post was edited

continuing the thread - i too, have a case pending. it has not been resolved so i will not elaborate in this comment. but i will lay out the story, legal ramifications, the AANR component and the final resolution when it comes.

in the meantime, i challenge you all to do a little web research on the "indecent exposure" laws in your state, county, city.

bottom line: i does NOT matter what you think your rights are, on your property or in your own home. what matters is what the complainant thinks, what the prosecutor thinks (and their boss), and ultimately, what the judge thinks. your opinion is not relevant!!

i have almost 10,000$ in expenses to make my point.

This post was edited

It's a shame you have to spend so much money to prove you were not doing anything wrong.

This post was edited

thats awesome. been aanr member for 20 years... and i've been cited too. welcome to the club ;)

This post was edited

That's great... Here's a story from South Florida, guy does yard work nude and local law enforcement told the neighbors he can do that..https://rare.us/rare-news/across-the-u-s-a/florida-man-naked-yard-work/

Thanks for the link. The way it is written made for some good chuckles ;-) "pulling weeds not himself", " winding up his hose, the one to water the lawn with"

Back to the main topic. Congratulations :-)

This post was edited

Not the same case, this happened in June. I hope it's not in the news!!

This post was edited

The problem is, in Florida and some other states. Indecent exposure is recorded as a sexual offense and becomes a record. You need to make sure that it does not go on your record.

This post was edited

bpmtn1: Congrats!
AANR: Fantastic work. Very well done.
22tango2: May you enjoy success as well. The cost is very unfortunate--in fact, punitive in itself--but if successful, worth it.

This post was edited

Pay the fine.Internet advice tends to be worthless.Including, one would imagine, the advice to pay the fine instead of consult someone who knows the law better...

Couldn't have said it better! I hope you sought an attorney and contested the fine...

This post was edited

Hey all, I also posted this in a hiking group forum but just noticed this section so I'm reposting... I've been exploring SW florida and looking for places to safely hike nude. A few days ago I pulled into a national preserve that is in the middle of nowhere and very infrequently visited. I was already nude in the car when I pulled up, and there were no other cars in the lot, no people present, and nobody attending the property. So I got out of the car nude to look at the trail map. I happened to look up and noticed a trail cam pointed right at me, so I immediately turned around, got back in my car, and put on my shorts. I guess it was pretty stupid of me not to consider that there would be abundant trail cams, but I did nothing offensive and immediately covered up when I realized.3 days later I received a call from a conservation officer who had pulled my license plate off the camera, found my contact info, and was issuing me an indecent exposure citation. He repeatedly said that the law stated that nudity on federal land is strictly prohibited, and despite my pleas he refused to give me a break. I haven't received the ticket in the mail yet, so I don't know how much the fine is, but I really don't want to pay this, nor do I want indecent exposure on my record when that was clearly not the case!In my research I have found no example of this law, most everything I read says the laws are very vague and there has to be lewd or sexual behavior/intent, or that the individual refuses to cover up in front of other people in order for this to be an offense.I welcome any advice here. While I'm most likely just going to pay this ticket since I can't imagine the embarrassment of standing in a full court room to defend this, I'd really like to know if I have any other options.Thanks everyone, be safe!

I'd pay the fine, but if you want to contest it say you were going to take a piss, and the officer's call, three days later, was a misunderstanding and you're just perplexed about it. One, did the officer give his name, unit or contact info? If not, why? Where is the recording of your person, your plates or any of that? You need to be given that for your records and it is necessary evidence to make any case. Do conservation officers have the authority to issue this kind of citation? Where is the relevant code they claim you were in violation of? Is the parking lot federal land? Or is it state owned? Who empties the trash? Is the highway federal or state? Who owns the camera and is it state federal or third party? The law is generally that there must be a complainant for there to be an infraction. I think the law he is citing has to do with national monuments in the 1960's being streaked and the feds making it illegal to stop the practice. I've heard of this in parks but always busy parks and always in person citations.

Usually, a representative of the law needs to be present in court. Is he coming in person? They won't show any video if there is that evidence (the judge would view in private), and if you were to defend yourself all you need say is that this is a misunderstanding. You were in a hurry to go to the washroom, thought there was one opposite your car, dropped the sarong you were wearing and to your horror, realized you were nude and nowhere near a bathroom, it was hot, you drove a long way, and you immediately returned to your vehicle and left, with no one else there at all. three days later you get this call you didn't understand with a belligerent non witness.

1, Wait for a ticket, they might just be scaring people to stop them from doing it, federal funding for keeping parks going was gutted by 45.

2. If you do get a ticket, check to see if it records the data they are claiming inculpates you. If you can't find it on the citation, nor get it from the bylaw officers, or records, then it's likely not extant (legal aid would tell you where to ask fully).

3. If you don't know who called, try to find out. The citation should be signed by that person, not another, and they should be in court if you contest, if that person isn't there, it should be tossed.

4. If someone calls back asking for cc or other to settle your fine, do not pay it, it's a scam. Did the first caller ask for any info?

5. Under 100$ I would pay it, see what the fee is to strike the whole thing from the record. It may take a year, but in Canada, we can pay extra to strike citations as we pay them.

6. I don't see where the conservation officers can issue this citation. Fish and Game violations. For any property crime in the lot they are supposed to call the sheriff's office. Indecent exposure requires a victim. You cannot indecently expose yourself to yourself, and if there was a reasonable possibility there was a school, church or home nearby then maybe you'd be on shaky ground, but no eye witness, 3 days later, no proper citation of the infraction, and digital evidence of...not much.

This post was edited