Should people be taking your picture?

While at the beach I see many, many people with phones in their hands and many I am sure are not just checking the weather forecast! Should people be taking candid photos on a public beach ? I myself don't have much of a problem with it but I can see how it may upset some people to know that someone some where may have nude images of you.

This topic was edited
RE:Should people be taking your picture?

As a photographer and a naturist I lean towards it being OK for people to take general wide shots of a beach and photos of their own group/partners etc. Obviously those shots can and will include anyone who is on the beach, but not close up. And if they are naturists then I never give it a second thought.
The problem comes now that phones have powerful zooms in their cameras and can get quite close up shots without you realising it. If I see a textile who looks as though they are doing more than just taking general beach shots I will have a word if close enough or just make it obvious I know what they are doing. A simple V sign when they point the camera in your direction normally works.
But in general I think it is a risk you take. You cant stop people wanting to take photos to record their day in the beach.

This post was edited

I think times are changing and it's far more accepted now that people will take photos where ever they are whether it's on the beach, in a pub or shop. I just assume people are taking photos and have no real qualms about that as it seems to be the world we live in now. So providing you are taking pictures of the beach in general I see no problem at all.

This post was edited
ORE:Should people be taking your picture?

Does not bother me in the least. I have no qualms being photographed while legally enjoying nude time. A vast majority of my friends and aquaintances know and accept that I am nudist. I have nothing to be ashamed of

This post was edited

If you are on a beach (nude or textile) do you really have an expectation of privacy? Most photographers I know use that rule to determine if it is OK to take a photo of someone. If they have an expectation of privacy, then ask permission first. No most good photographers I know will look at it in the light that even if they don;t have an expectation of privacy, they will either ask first, or after taking a photo (most are using digital now) they will show the person and ask them if its OK or if the subject would prefer it to be deleted. This only applies to people who are the primary subject of a photo, not people who are in the background.

This post was edited

If you are on a beach (nude or textile) do you really have an expectation of privacy? Most photographers I know use that rule to determine if it is OK to take a photo of someone. If they have an expectation of privacy, then ask permission first. No most good photographers I know will look at it in the light that even if they don;t have an expectation of privacy, they will either ask first, or after taking a photo (most are using digital now) they will show the person and ask them if its OK or if the subject would prefer it to be deleted. This only applies to people who are the primary subject of a photo, not people who are in the background.

If I wanted privacy I would stay in my garden but as soon as I'm on a beach I expect very little. If you choose to be on a public beach nude then surely you must accept that your privacy was left at home. I have, on a few occasions anyway, been approached by people to tell me that they had taken my picture and asking if I object so I am sure there have been countless times when my picture was taken that I have been unaware of.

This post was edited

No they shouldnt take pictures.

We dont expect privacy on a public beach but we do expect others to extend some common courtesy.

Sadly many dont. We used to stay at a hotel that was right on the beach, textiles used the area right in front of the hotel and the naturist area really started about 100 yards along. I used to sit and watch a parade of people walk down to the naturist area and take a picture of their partners standing by the sea with naturists in the background.

The strange thing was if they had faced the other direction it would have been a nicer picture as there was a very pretty island just off the coast. Sadly that direction only had textiles in it so they never did.

This post was edited

We dont expect privacy on a public beach but we do expect others to extend some common courtesy.
Exactly.
I get that cameras are everywhere these days but that doesn't make a photographer any less rude for taking a picture of someone who doesn't want their picture taken. There are plenty of people who don't like their picture taken whether they're nude or not.

This post was edited

In answer to your specific question, I don't think people should be taking your picture on a nude beach. Actually, there's a good case for not taking pics without permission anywhere. We should expect some manners, but we are mature enough to recognize that many lookie-loos don't have any. So it comes down to what we're willing to endure from other people. I'm sort of over my own cautiousness.

The sad fact is that people taking pics without permission becomes a deterrent to some people who are interested in trying out nude beaches. There are many people who might be willing to experiment but who are put off by the concern that their pic will end up on the internet.

This post was edited

I have always been of the mindset that if you want to take pictures at the beach, respect others and go to an area where there are no people. Or like I did and go early morning when you are the only ones at the beach. Its all about respect and consideration for others.

This post was edited

I concur that they should only be taken with consideration of the people in them and maybe of consequences that could come of it for them if used improperly.

I do not go to a public place and expect that there would be no photography going on without signed legal documents. I do not go and expect that the photos will be posted to the internet but do expect that they will be used for the photographer only.

I want privacy? I stay in my back yard!

This post was edited