do you read yourself to sleep?

For as long as I can remember I don't fall asleep for the night without reading. Sometimes it is only a few pages, other times I can lay there and read for hours. My mind naturally races and until I concentrate on one thing, a book, my mind will not shut down to sleep. Anyone else cursed with such mind games?

On a related note, there are topics if I come across in a book, I know will not allow me to sleep. Anything that has a person in a claustrophobic situation. A guy describing his personal experience packed in a railroad car during the Holocaust or a captive in a trunk of a car in a thriller book. Etc. I will put it aside and pick up a book without that in it. What topics keep you awake?

This topic was edited
RE:do you read yourself to sleep?

What topics keep me awake? Not reading topics, unless you count reading mail. Anything that I perceive as a threat to my budget or finances.

My insomnia comes and goes, and reading is not a cure when it is here, nor a necessity when it is not. On the contrary, I try to avoid reading when I want to sleep, because it annoys me to lose track of the thread as the drowsiness comes on. Also, I really hate it when a book has been left open face down, and forever afterwards it always tries to open to that page. So falling asleep and letting the book fall on your chest is a no-no with me.

This post was edited

Reading yourself to sleep is tricky I always think just one more chapter. Especially towards the end of a book.

This post was edited

I always keep something to read beside the bed. Usually it's a very serious book that I know I won't have time to read elsewhere. Right now, for example, I'm finishing up Gibbons' "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". Next up, I think, will be Churchill's six-volume history of WWII. History and philosophy works like these help to settle my mind for sleep.

This post was edited

I usually read in bed so it is inevitable that I will fall asleep.

This post was edited

Pretty much every night. I'm a fan of mysteries and scifi. Grisham and Clancy are probably my favorites.

This post was edited