Playalinda Beach

Is clothing optional swimming allowed on Section 12 or Section 11?

This topic was edited
RE:Playalinda Beach

As newnude said, keep it to lot 13. We have too much to lose. And he is correct. Even though it is a National site, local laws overrule the fed laws.

This post was edited

Biggest reason I feel why we find nudity on 12 and 11 is the parking. Its a long walk up to 13. I have many times offered rides to others up to and back from the other lots if i see someone having to walk. We all have to work together here people.

This post was edited

I've been going to Playalinda since the 1950's and I can tell you that the Titusville City Council (and/or Brevard County) could clamp down on nudity almost overnight. They have done it before when certain conservative council members prevailed.As others have noted, the National Park Service has no rules governing nudity and local law prevails.So, please keep it to north of parking area 13.An alternative is to arrive early enough to buy a Back Country Pass at the gate. It's only $2 but there are only 25 issued each day.This entitles you to walk north beyond the current limits of section 13. In fact, with prep you can walk naked all the way to Apollo Beach, as my partner has done.

Ditto to the comments above. My experience @ Playalinda is limited to 2 days in Feb 2016 (included the free NP entrance day). But it sounds like it was typical of others experiences. Because this was my first time visiting an bona fide nude beach (many nude experiences at other venues, hot springs, etc. ), I walked far enough to see the textiles, but still among the nudes, just to get the" lay of the land" and do a recon of the culture/dynamics of this beach. Nudes stretched as far south as the entrance to area 12 the second day.

It was fairly crowded that second day, and folks spread from 12 northward to about 100 yards inside the Backcountry area (the Backcountry area is well posted). I didn't realize the significance of the Backcountry boundary until a NPS ranger on an ATV came by and started enforcing the boundary. I wasn't sure what she was doing (I was set up just inside ramp of 13), so I walked up to her (nude :) ) and asked.
Ranger: "Do you have a Backcountry Permit?" Me: "No" Ranger: "Then move on out, south of the sign" She was all business, no chit-chat. I knew it was "move it or lose it" and I quickly disengaged! I think the permit would be well worth the $2 just to have more room to roam, beachcombing, peace and quiet etc.

Late in the day, close to closing time, the beaches had cleared and I was able to take a nude run all the way south close to area 11. Felt fortunate (and felt FANTASTIC!)

So yes, do anything possible, and help others if you can, to adhere to area13 so we don't lose it completely. You may get push back from setting up close to someone, you'll just have to explain situation (and then not be "creepy guy/ gawker" that they suspect you to be) . Just a few complaints from textiles about nudes mingling with them is all it takes to stir the hornets nest!
- Nudeprewd 1/17/18

This post was edited

I've never been to a nude beach before and it's definitely on my nudist to do list. I had heard of Playalinda long ago, but not really knowing Florida I had never placed it geographically in my mind; however, recently I have been really absorbing space and space flight like a freaking sponge and I really want to try to see a launch from the Space Coast.

During my research of the best places to watch I saw Playalinda listed at only 3 miles away (though the more southern parts may be cut off during the launches) and an excellent view of pads 39a and 39b and a decent view of SLC-40. Suddenly it clicked and I was excited to be able to have such a close view from a nude beach! Later, I realized that the nude portion was in the North not the South and placed at 8 miles from the pad.

Anywho, my questions are:

1. Has anybody been to Playalinda, north of lot 13 during a launch?
2. What is the view like? Can you see the SpaceX landing zones at all?
3. Are people upset by cameras, even if they are clearly focused miles away torwards KSC?
4. Knowing that Playlinda is only traditionally nude, not legally, are there any issues being nude during these events or is it ignored as usual?

I'd truly appreciate any advice on this if there's any to be had. I'm looking forward to my trip and I'm down to planning the logistics of it.

This post was edited

I have watched a couple of launches from lot 13. On the nude beach. They used to close the beaches during the shuttle program. Not so much now. During a launch there nude life goes on as normal and yes people have their cameras out taking pics of the launch. I remember one day a fisherman hooked and reeled in a sting ray. People gathered around to see it and i couldnt believe all the cameras that came out. Just make sure you photo what you should be

This post was edited

Thank you, I appreciate the answer.

I will probably move as close as I am allowed, even if it means covering up, but it's nice to know I can still get a good view from where I am. I was just playing with my camera and I realized that I'm gonna need a longer lens even if I do manage to get to the 3 mile line from the pad, so the closer the better I think. :)

This post was edited

Thinking of driving down to Playlinda this Friday and Saturday. It will be my first time. Weather looks nice. Anybody else going by chance?

This post was edited

I think I'd rather drive the extra couple of hours and head down to Blind Creek Beach. It's legal and the city counsel says so. Plus its beautiful. I drove down there from Jax last summer and would do it again in an instant. Everything I've heard about Playalinda and Apollo make me leary of the authorities.

This post was edited

Is there much parking at Blind Creek? We stopped there one day and it was cold and cloudy. We were the only ones on the beach. As I recall there is not a lot of parking available there.

This post was edited