Scar from Open Heart Surgery

I'm a 71 y.o. male who had open heart surgery 7 weeks ago. I now have a vertical scar on my chest running about 9 inches. I'm a little self conscious about my appearance now. Anybody else with a "zipper chest" and how do you deal with it?

This topic was edited
RE:Scar from Open Heart Surgery

Well, I have a "zipper leg" from some surgery done on my lower thigh a long, long time ago. For years, I wouldn't wear shorts, and apologized to my lovers for having such an unsightly leg.

All that changed when I moved to California's Central Valley, where summers are HOT. I decided that it didn't make a difference anymore. My desire for comfort overcame my shame. Now I have no qualms about anybody seeing my scar.

I should add that even before I moved here, I was in some nude situations where the scar was plain to see. Nobody ever commented on it or even appeared to take notice of it after the first glance.

So don't worry about scars. As somebody once said, "Scars are just tattoos with more interesting stories." I've seen people with missing legs, arms, and breasts. Their life stories are out there for all to see, but nobody judges them or thinks less of them. We are who we are.

This post was edited

I'm a 71 y.o. male who had open heart surgery 7 weeks ago. I now have a vertical scar on my chest running about 9 inches. I'm a little self conscious about my appearance now. Anybody else with a "zipper chest" and how do you deal with it?

Trust me, nobody cares about your scar. Want to make it into a conversation starter? Something I've considered doing with the scar on my arm from surgery is to have a zipper tatoo done along it. I'm too cheap though, and because there is no flesh under the skin for most of it, I know it's going to hurt.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

battle scars of life, should be proud of what we've survived instead of ashamed that we aren't perfectly smooth and flawless. Stupid to imitate those young models showing off bathing suits. To even think we need to imitate them to be accepted by other people is ludicrous.

This post was edited

you are who you are. My sister-in-law had heart surgery as a child and she has a scar that I believe would be similar to yours. She doesn't care who sees it. It is part of who she is. My wife had knee replacements last year. The scars on her legs don't stop her from wearing shorts either.

This post was edited

Trust me, nobody cares about your scar.

I'm going to sort of disagree abut that statement.

I don't think anyone will think any less of soneome for having a scar, but they will wonder the cause for it, and something as obvious as a open heart surgery scar will probably give them some concern for their health.

Some people might mention it and/or ask about it. Others might just ignore it. Having said that, it's no different then seeing someone drive up in a blue car when most of the cars are silver. It's different, but not something to be embarrassed or concerned about.

This post was edited

I am a member of the zipper club. Have been for 7.5 yrs. It has been rare anyone asks anything and if they do I tell them why. Like someone else said. " Battle scar of life" Oh I was nearly 20 yrs younger than your are when I got mine. Strip off, you survived heart surgery enjoy life you got a second chance. Why care what others think? And honestly I have never been scolded or had any other negative reaction. Although one overly concerned woman thought I should not get too much sun on it.

This post was edited

I am a member of the zipper club. Have been for 7.5 yrs. It has been rare anyone asks anything and if they do I tell them why. Like someone else said. " Battle scar of life" Oh I was nearly 20 yrs younger than your are when I got mine. Strip off, you survived heart surgery enjoy life you got a second chance. Why care what others think? And honestly I have never been scolded or had any other negative reaction. Although one overly concerned woman thought I should not get too much sun on it.

My beautiful wife has a scar from a surgery called a Whipple. The scar starts on one side of her belly lower than the belly button, goes up 6-8 inches, goes all the way across to the other side of her belly and back down 6-8 inches. No one really pays any attention and if it is noticed we tease and say its her shark bite before saying its from surgery. Its a life battle scar worn with honor.

This post was edited

My wife and I both had open heart surgery. Her scar is worse than mine. Its never been an issue wherever we go

This post was edited

I'm going to sort of disagree abut that statement.I don't think anyone will think any less of soneome for having a scar, but they will wonder the cause for it, and something as obvious as a open heart surgery scar will probably give them some concern for their health.Some people might mention it and/or ask about it. Others might just ignore it. Having said that, it's no different then seeing someone drive up in a blue car when most of the cars are silver. It's different, but not something to be embarrassed or concerned about.

I didn't mean to imply that people wouldn't be curious, just that it wasn't going to be a deal closer for any form of friendship developing or that they were going to be shunned because of it. I have what was once a very noticeable scar down the length of my upper right arm (After several sunburns and peelings, it is significantly less noticeable these days). I even mentioned that I had considered getting a zipper tattoo to give it some flare.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

My beautiful wife has a scar from a surgery called a Whipple. The scar starts on one side of her belly lower than the belly button, goes up 6-8 inches, goes all the way across to the other side of her belly and back down 6-8 inches. No one really pays any attention and if it is noticed we tease and say its her shark bite before saying its from surgery. Its a life battle scar worn with honor.

I love the shark bite answer. Reminds me of a friend who broke her knee. She told people she had been mountain climbing. The real story was tripped over the mower taking out the trash

This post was edited