Hi all

Great to find this site with so many people who are comfortable in their own skin. Im just on the start of my journey and Im sure many questions will find their own answers over time. One question though Im keen to figure out quickly is how do you stop insect bites. the general advice is to wear long sleeves and long trousers etc so nothing can land on skin. Kinda defeats the purpose of being a nudist. What do you do, is it simply a case of swimming in a pool of insect repellent just before dusk?

This topic was edited
RE:Hi all

I don't know what sort of critters you have in New Zealand, but here in the US they're only a problem at certain seasons, and we have to plan nude activities around that.

I don't think it's necessary to "swim in a pool" of repellent. A standard application is all it takes for most people. Do check to make sure that the tube or bottle or whatever isn't past its expiration date. (Do you say "expiry" in New Zealand?) I keep the stuff away from sensitive areas like my genitals or lips; I figure that as long as it's close to those areas, it'll work.

I find that adding a little garlic to what I eat helps keep them away. I also stay away from scented soaps and shampoos.

Some people have found those little ultrasonic devices useful. It seems to depend on the species of the insect, and on what stage they are in their life cycle.

I hope those pesky little things don't keep you from enjoying the great outdoors while nude!

This post was edited

In the Uk we have a product called Avon Skin so soft.

Obviously its not designed as an insect replant but its widely used by naturist as it works really well.

Only used after the sun goes down.

This post was edited

Thanks for the replies. Generally mosquito bites around here. They seem to have a liking for British ex pat blood!

This post was edited

If by "nudist" you mean lying around in the sun, where we are it really would take swimming in the stuff; I simply don't sunbathe around home. Many times of the day or year, I either keep moving, or cover up. When I've needed sun for medicinal reasons (before I got my prescription lamp) I would either go on the roof, or lie in front of a box fan in the back yard.

This post was edited

Thanks for the advice. Will have to see what happens. Am thinking that covering up is the obvious and most sensible answer. As Ive seen written elsewhere, being a nudist doesnt mean being stupid.

This post was edited

Sadly citronella is one of the smells my partner finds overpowering. She has a very acute sense of smell and some things she finds overpowering I cant smell at all!

This post was edited

It was more when the sun goes down rather than sunbathing. Fortunately our bugs generally seem to come out as night falls. NZ sunshine seems to keep daytime bugs to a minimum.

This post was edited

Be welcome. I face this same problem because in my beach house I am naked all the time and because it is an interior region for many insects. At night I wear a repellent bracelet that I bought in Europe on a trip, it works very well.

This post was edited

I've seen some canopies that have screen walls. They're quite large 10' x 10' (3 m x 3m) or 10' x 20' (3m x 6m). They're easy to set up. If you're looking for a place to simply sit and chat, that might be an answer.

This post was edited

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully over our coming summer well figure out what works best for us. Will certainly look into the bug zappers and the canopies for if/when we head away from home.

This post was edited