Introduction to Jock Straps and Gang Showers

I feel lucky that I grew up at a time where nudity was not an issue in gym class. It was 7th grade gym class that I was introduced to a Jock Strap, didnt really understand why I had to wear one and was somewhat embarrassed wearing one at first. It was required for all boys to wear one during gym class and the coach would periodically check to see if we were wearing one. It was also looked at as a time when boys were growing up and becoming young men and this was one of the thing we wore as our bodies were developing while being active in sports. Then came playing team sports where one team would be identified at shirts and the other would be identified as skins. It was somewhat uncomfortable playing shirtless since it was something I never done before and coming into contact with another just didnt feel right while shirtless. I would always be glad when we were done with head back to the locker room. The gang showers were also something new at the end of gym class. I was not that embarrassed since we all were required to take a shower before getting dressed. We were not given much time, so there was no time to think about being naked. It was all about getting in and showering, getting dry and getting dressed for the next class. This went on for 6 years and getting naked in the locker room was never an issue and I feel this experience help me in accepting my body as I grew up. As a nudist, I now look back at this as a great time and it has helped me accept the freedom of being a nudist and its lifestyle.

This topic was edited
RE:Introduction to Jock Straps and Gang Showers

Jr HS, now called Middle School, was only 7th and 8th grade back in those years around here. Like the OP, I also had to wear a jock for P.E. I had to go out before the 7th grade school year started and buy a jock strap. My mother took me , since she was a single parent at the time. When I think back on that now, its gives me such a belly chuckle. We went to the General Store. It was a combination of 3 or more stores all in one. We walked over to the sporting goods area and to the display where, among other things, were that jock straps. She stood there waiting for me to grab one. No direction, so I grabbed a size small. At that time, I only weighed about 100 lbs. I took the jock off the shelf and she said, "ahhhh, no. Not that size." I looked at her and she says, "get the Large". I looked at her and said, "I'm not fat. I don't need a large." She said, "it's not that your not fat, it's for... um, ahhh, ummm... the size of your thing that fits in the thing." I was beyond puzzled! It was a nice way of telling me that I was larger, where it counted, than I thought I was! hahahahaha Nowadays, I think back and wonder how she knew that I needed that size. She didn't seem to pay that much attention! ;DDD

Gang showers; those were the norm in Jr. HS, HS and in the military. Only place I didn't take a shower in a gang shower was onboard ship and at home! We had stalls onboard ship but had no doors or privacy curtains. The dividers for the stalls were there to keep all the wet and soapy bodies from sliding all over the place when the ship rolled. I'll admit that in Jr HS, the gang shower situation took me a short while to get used to but I'd already been to YMCA Summer Camp and grew up with uncles that were more like older brothers and there was lots of guy nudity in both situations. The Fire Dept was no different and gang showers were the norm until after I retired.

My wife and I love the fact that there are still gang showers or at least multiple shower heads in the Co-Ed showers at clubs and resorts. There's only been one resort we visited where the showers are part of the restroom facilities and they are separated by Men's and Women's rooms. Not sure if we broke any rules but when we visited this resort and were in our motorhome, didn't seem like anyone was using these facilities so we both went into the Men's room and took a shower together. We were there for a week and did that twice a day. We did get a few looks when we both emerged from the Men's Room. Seems a bit strange to be getting questionable looks from other nudists. ;DDD

This post was edited

I found out about jock straps and cups the hard way. I started playing football in 5th grade. I was running across the field to tackle the runner when I was blocked from my blind side with a helmet right into my penis. I had to leave the game. I had a raw spot and a scab for a few weeks. Thats when my mom took me to Sears to get a jock strap and a cup.

In Jr High 7th through 9th grades, we were given a uniform, shorts and a reversible top. It was like 2 T-shirts sewn together. No jock check. Showers were mandatory and I dont ever remember any teasing going on there.

In High School, my PE class was Diving. Wore speedos so no jock. After school wrestling and football practice, jocks and cups were required but there was no checks. I would think by then most guys knew it was in there best interest, I know I did.

After practice, when there was more time to shower and shanaigins, teasing would happen. Not so much about size because if you were caught looking you were labeled as Gay, or back then a Fag and no one wanted that stigma. The teasing was more about how long guys would take in the shower or snapping towels at each other.

This post was edited

I grew up in a clothed home, never went shirtless except for the occasional swim at a pool. Was never involved in sports growing up, going to 7th grade gym class was a new learning experience. I was a follower, just did what all the other boys did and that was when I started wearing a jock strap. We were always rushed to change into our P.E. Clothes for class and it was the same at the end of class to shower and to get into our street clothes. The time that we were naked was brief, it was before the use of the Gay title, it was widely known to alway keep your eyes sight up and never be caught looking down, one could be labeled as a fag or a queer when caught looking at another boys penis. Showering in the gang showers were short and being naked was never an issue because it was just apart of the process to leaving clean to the next class. There were a few older boys that like to have fun when time and the opportunity existed by sliding bare assed access the titled floor under the showers and the occasional towel snap on anothers bare butt as long as the Coach was not watching. I just followed and never felt uncomfortable showering with the others boys during the 6 years of gym class.

This post was edited

Our group of guys regularly turned on the row of showers and slid bare assed on the tile floor too. It was never after PE but when we went for open swims at our district's pool.

This post was edited

My grade school was remodeled to build showers in the boys' locker room between my 5th and 6th grades. I remember my first trip into the showers. On the way back to my locker, I instinctively crossed my wrists in front of me. The one and only time I got teased, one of the "cool kids" made fun of me and another poor chap for attempting to cover ourselves. I never covered again.

In 8th grade we had to snap the leg strap of our jock for the PE teacher during roll call.

This post was edited