backyard damp

i've noticed my yard especially the backyard isn't drying even though not muddy but when walking on it you can feel your shoes sinking a little , haven't had all that much rain and been in the 50's f most days of course colder at night.. i don't remember this in past winters in georgia . one of my leyland cypress maybe 5 foot tall has even tipped over because of the damp soil.

This topic was edited
RE:backyard damp

My backyard is the same. Not muddy, but definitely damp and moist. And my backyard is my naked haven. Love to stretch our naked on a towel and soak in the sun. Could it be global warming that is the cause of this weird change in our soil?

This post was edited

Mine here in MN is rock solid ;-) Before the sub freezing weather hit it was not wet but soft and spongy feeling.

This post was edited

could it be a leak from a septic system or water line?

This post was edited

A couple of things could happen...look at the lay (elevation changes) shape your yard for directional flow; has your grass lifted due to watering practices; do you have a pipe leak? Turn off all the water faucets in your house / shop and go check the water meter. Most have a low flow indicator that turns indicating a leak somewhere in your system. Good luck...its a pain.

This post was edited

Has the ground got compacted over the years so it doesn't drain so well and if you think it could be use a garden fork to make holes to the full depth of the tynes for a medium size patch to see if that helps and if it does hire/buy a correct tool and some sharp sand to fill the holes in and doo all the grass.

This post was edited

could it be a leak from a septic system or water line?

front yard same thing

This post was edited

If you haven't had your tank cleaned out or checked and made sure you don't have a water line leak. It is more than likely you need your tank pumped out and.

This post was edited

If you haven't had your tank cleaned out or checked and made sure you don't have a water line leak. It is more than likely you need your tank pumped out and.

If you have just a wet soft spot then it could be a water leak and if you have a dry spell in the summer the grass will stay growing as well. Also if it is a problem with your septic tank you will find the grass will grow faster due to the grass having more feed than other parts of the grass.

This post was edited

i went down in my yard yesterday and i'm just guessing because it slopes down in the back it is just collecting there , my neighbor was out back and we chatted his yard is more level he said it's somewhat wet but not slushy like mine. no water leak and no septic tank .

This post was edited

How much sun does your yard get and is the air flow good or somewhat blocked by trees/bushes? If a septic system were involved you would most likely smell it.

This post was edited