I Need All Flavors Around Me

I grew up in a diverse place (NYC) and have traveled a lot now since being in the Navy. Obviously my shipmates come in all colors thanks God, but it is a new experience for me to go on shore leave in places where the local population is almost all one race. I'm talking in Asian and European countries, and some ports in the US. I never experienced getting stared at so much before -- I mean being Latino in NYC is not unusual, nor is being any other race in NYC unusual. First thing I usually do on leave is a find a full gym since shipboard bodybuilding resources are limited/improvised, and I do like to get my steam or sauna on too after my workout. So right away I find myself naked with other dudes in these places, and I find one of two reactions: those that are real friendly, maybe because I am different looking and welcoming the stranger is how they roll like how I was raised, and those that you can tell make me invisible to themselves, and if they interact at all with me at all, like working in at a weight bench, it is just a cold couple of words. Fortunately the friendly ones are real friendly, and welcome me with my different look, and the unfriendly ones aren't aggressive about it, just stand-offish. I am getting used to these kinds of moments. I guess what I am trying to say is I am grateful when I am in a place where I can be around every flavor of human being, and grateful there are others sharing this feeling with me. Nice to meet you all. Thanks for letting me give my opinion. Peace and all respect, and much love to you all, Ray-Jay

This topic was edited
RE:I Need All Flavors Around Me

Thanks, Jay! I, too, would like to see more diversity in our community. It's way too white and male for me. One of naturism's biggest obstacles now is getting the word out to the whole population, so there's no preponderance of a single race or sex. We're swimming against the tide of residual racism and media sexualization, but the more we can do to stem that, the happier the world will be, IMO.

This post was edited

Peace and all respect, and much love to you all, Ray-Jay

you beautiful, homie. right back atcha...

This post was edited

Ive never really thought about what youre saying. I have experienced those stares and attitudes in indigenous populated areas and Asian areas but I didnt really think about it then either. I find we all look at newcomers and assess them naturally. Also, some shy or insecure people come across as stand-offish. My country is multicultural, so like you I tend to enjoy our mix of people generally all getting on with life and learning about everyone we meet. Rest assured mate, your yank accent would be the only reason people would look at you here, or maybe admire the gym body. Thats about it.

This post was edited

I can only speak from my own experience. Funny how it is common for a certain type of person to try and argue others out of their knowledge of their own experience whenever this topic comes up.

This post was edited

Yeah bro, what happened to your pic?

This post was edited